Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is S3 dbfs mount faster then direct access?

New Contributor III

Hi,

Is there any speed difference between mounted s3 bucket and direct access during reading/writing delta tables or other type of files? I tried to find something in docs, but didn't found anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vivian_Wilfred
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Jacek Dembowiakโ€‹ , behind the scenes, mounting an S3 bucket and reading from it works the same way as directly accessing it. Mounts are just metadata, the underlying access mechanism is the same for both the scenarios you mentioned. Mounting the storage is for ease of usage and security but not for improving speed.

I hope this answers your question. Please mark the comment as the best answer to resolve the query.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Vivian_Wilfred
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Jacek Dembowiakโ€‹ , behind the scenes, mounting an S3 bucket and reading from it works the same way as directly accessing it. Mounts are just metadata, the underlying access mechanism is the same for both the scenarios you mentioned. Mounting the storage is for ease of usage and security but not for improving speed.

I hope this answers your question. Please mark the comment as the best answer to resolve the query.