Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Job Versioning with “Run Job” tasks and Deployments between envinronments

harlemmuniz
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am writing to bring to your attention an issue that we have encountered while working with Databricks and seek your assistance in resolving it.

When running a Job of Workflow with the task "Run Job" and clicking on "View YAML/JSON," we have observed that the parameter of the run_job_task, specifically the job_id, is being versioned. However, we have encountered difficulties when attempting to deploy in different environments, such as "stage" and "production." In these instances, the id is loaded with the value from the laboratory of course, and it’s causing errors when trying to create the job in another envinroments with tools like Terraform or Databricks Assets Bundle, because these jobs maybe exists or not (it will be created if not exist), but the job_id will always be different in different environments:

To perform exactly these actions, run the following command to apply:
    terraform apply "prod.plan"

Error: cannot create job: Job 902577056531277 does not exist.

with module.databricks_workflow_job_module["job_father_one"].databricks_job.main,
       on modules/databricks_workflow_job/main.tf line 7, in resource "databricks_job" "main":

Error: cannot create job: Job 1068053310953144 does not exist.

with module.databricks_workflow_job_module["job_father_two"].databricks_job.main,
       on modules/databricks_workflow_job/main.tf line 7, in resource "databricks_job" "main":

##[error]Bash exited with code '1'.

In this case, the jobs 902577056531277 and 1068053310953144 does not exist in stage and production envinroments. So, in this way, we need to submit one sequential pull request and merge for each layer of "Run Job" task, changing the job_id accordingly to the correct job_id of that job in each environment, which is not an optimal approach.

To address this issue, we propose an alternative approach. Instead of versioning and referencing jobs in the "Run Job" task using job_id, we suggest versioning based on the job_name:

{
  "name": "job_father_one",
  "email_notifications": {},
  "tasks": [
    {
      "task_key": "job_father_one",
      "run_if": "ALL_SUCCESS",
      "run_job_task": {
        "job_name": "job_child_one"
      },
      "timeout_seconds": 0,
      "notification_settings": {}
    },
    {
      "task_key": "job_father_two",
      "run_if": "ALL_SUCCESS",
      "run_job_task": {
        "job_name": "job_child_two"
      },
      "timeout_seconds": 0,
      "notification_settings": {}
    }
  ],
  "tags": {},
  "run_as": {
    "user_name": "test@test.com"
  }
}

Is that possible? In this way, we don't need to take care with the job_id when sending to stage and production envinroments, because it will make the reference with another jobs by their names, ensuring a smoother experience across different environments.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

Harlem Muniz.

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @harlemmuniz, Your proposed versioning solution based on job_name instead of job_id seems logical. It would allow smoother transitions between different environments as the job references would be made by their names, not their IDs.

There are issues reported on similar topics on Github :-

1. https://github.com/databricks/terraform-provider-databricks/issues/3126
  2. https://github.com/databricks/terraform-provider-databricks/issues/2141

Let me know if you need further assistance!

harlemmuniz
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz, thank you for your fast response.

However, the versioned JSON or YAML (via Databricks Asset Bundle) in the Job UI should also include the job_name, or we have to change it manually by replacing the job_id with the job_name. For this reason, I didn't open an issue on the Databricks Terraform provider GitHub. I genuinely believe Databricks should make the following changes:

1. When clicking on View YAML/JSON, the parameter of the key run_job_task should be changed from job_id to job_name, allowing us to copy the JSON/YAML without needing manual adjustments.
  2. The Terraform provider should accept job_name as a reference to another job.
  3. Databricks Asset Bundle should also accept job_name as a reference to another job.

What do you think I should do? Should I open an issue on the terraform-provider-databricks GitHub? Is there anything else I must to do?

Let me know, and I'll take the necessary steps.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.