cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Migrate delta live tables from a non-uc to uc enabled databricks workspace

Fnazar
New Contributor II

Hello Team,

I have a usecase where I need to migrate Delta Live Tables from a non-Unity Catalog Databricks workspace to a Unity Catalog enabled Databricks workspace. What will be the efficient approach to achieve this scenario, please suggest?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, I can't share any opinions because I didn't have to migrate from hive to UC on my project. I suggested UCX because colleage of mine had good experience with migration using that tool.
But, since existing pipelines that use the Hive metastore cannot be upgraded to use Unity Catalog and to migrate an existing pipeline that writes to Hive metastore, you must create a new pipeline and re-ingest data from the data source(s) I would follow best practices that one of creators of DLT framework - Michael Armbrust mentions in below video:
Delta Live Tables in Depth Best Practices for Intelligent Data Pipelines (youtube.com)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

szymon_dybczak
Contributor

Hi @Fnazar ,

You can try to use UCX by Databricks Labs. It automates whole process. 

databrickslabs/ucx: Automated migrations to Unity Catalog (github.com)

Thank you for suggesting UCX by Databricks Labs. Could you please share any manual approaches for migrating Delta Live Tables from a non-Unity Catalog workspace to a Unity Catalog-enabled workspace?

I am looking for specific steps or best practices tailored to Delta Live Tables exclusively, such as exporting metadata, remapping schemas, or manually reconfiguring pipelines in the new workspace. Would appreciate any guidance on handling this migration manually.

Unfortunately, I can't share any opinions because I didn't have to migrate from hive to UC on my project. I suggested UCX because colleage of mine had good experience with migration using that tool.
But, since existing pipelines that use the Hive metastore cannot be upgraded to use Unity Catalog and to migrate an existing pipeline that writes to Hive metastore, you must create a new pipeline and re-ingest data from the data source(s) I would follow best practices that one of creators of DLT framework - Michael Armbrust mentions in below video:
Delta Live Tables in Depth Best Practices for Intelligent Data Pipelines (youtube.com)

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group