cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyspark.dbutils'

vk217
Contributor

I have a class in a python file like this

from pyspark.sql import SparkSession
from pyspark.dbutils import DBUtils
 class DatabricksUtils:

def __init__(self‌‌):
        self.spark = SparkSession.getActiveSession()
        self.dbutils = DBUtils(self.spark)

def get_dbutils(self) -> DBUtils:
        return self.dbutils

In another python file, I am importing this module and calling the db utils like

from .myProject.functions.utils import *

db = DatabricksUtils()
    dbutils = db.get_dbutils()

This works when I test it locally in vscode but in Azure Pipeline when I try to build my unit tests fail and I get a message
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyspark.dbutils'

3 REPLIES 3

Miguel_Suarez
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey @vk217 ,

What Databricks runtime version was the cluster you ran the code on? I was able to successfully run your code in a 12.2 and a 13.3 cluster.

Can you try running it on a cluster with one of those DBR versions, if you haven't already? And please let us know if you're still running into issues.

Best,

Miguel

Poonam_Joshi
New Contributor II

We are trying to do similar thing . we are using dbutils to get secret scope and we doing unittesting in azure pipeline where it gives error pyspark.dbutils not found 

We have tried using databricks.sdk.dbutils for which I got authentication error li kr value not found I used databricks -connect library as well but still the same issue..

Can you please help with it?

Jarkrung
New Contributor

Hi, we are also in the same exact situation. Were you able to solve the problem? Or a workaround maybe.