cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

performance issues when readingjson-stat2

NTRT
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am realtively new on databricks, although I am conscious about lazy evaluation, transformations and actions and peristence.

I have a json file (complex-nested) with about 1,73 MiB. 

when 

df = spark.read.option("multiLine", "false").json('dbfs:/mnt/makro/bronze/json_ssb/07129_20240514.json'), spark goes on forever without finishing the job. eventually i get an error "The spark driver has stopped unexpectedly and is restarting. Your notebook will be automatically reattached."

Reading this file on my local computer is a no braniner !

you kan get the file if you send a post request to:

table_07129 = "https://data.ssb.no/api/v0/no/table/07129/"
query_07129 ={"query":[],"response":{"format":"json-stat2"}}
resultat = requests.post(table_07129, json = query_07129)

I am using a multi node (max 2 workers) 64GB 16 core each standard d16ads_v5 cluster

thanks for your help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

koushiknpvs
New Contributor III

Please give me a kudos if this works.

Efficiency in Data Collection: Using .collect() on large datasets can lead to out-of-memory errors as it collects all rows to the driver node. If the dataset is large, consider alternatives such as extracting only the necessary parts of data or performing operations that do not require collecting the entire DataFrame. You could replace the colelct section with first(). For example - 
json_string = batch_df.toJSON().first()

batch_df.select("label").first()['label'

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

koushiknpvs
New Contributor III

Please give me a kudos if this works.

Efficiency in Data Collection: Using .collect() on large datasets can lead to out-of-memory errors as it collects all rows to the driver node. If the dataset is large, consider alternatives such as extracting only the necessary parts of data or performing operations that do not require collecting the entire DataFrame. You could replace the colelct section with first(). For example - 
json_string = batch_df.toJSON().first()

batch_df.select("label").first()['label'

NTRT
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am realtively new on databricks, although I am conscious about lazy evaluation, transformations and actions and peristence.

I have a json file (complex-nested) with about 1,73 MiB. 

when 

df = spark.read.option("multiLine""false").json('dbfs:/mnt/makro/bronze/json_ssb/07129_20240514.json'), spark goes on forever without finishing the job. eventually i get an error "The spark driver has stopped unexpectedly and is restarting. Your notebook will be automatically reattached."

Reading this file on my local computer is a no braniner !

you kan get the file if you send a post request to:

table_07129 = "https://data.ssb.no/api/v0/no/table/07129/"
query_07129 ={"query":[],"response":{"format":"json-stat2"}}
resultat = requests.post(table_07129, json = query_07129)

I am using a multi node (max 2 workers) 64GB 16 core each standard d16ads_v5 cluster

thanks for your help. 

koushiknpvs
New Contributor III

This can be resolved by redefining the schema structure explicitly and using that schema to read the file. 

from pyspark.sql.types import StructType, StructField, StringType, IntegerType, ArrayType

# Define the schema according to the JSON structure
schema = StructType([
StructField("field1", StringType(), True),
StructField("field2", IntegerType(), True),
# Add fields according to the JSON structure
])

# Read the JSON file with the defined schema
df = spark.read.schema(schema).json('dbfs:/mnt/makro/bronze/json_ssb/07129_20240514.json')
df.show()

NTRT
New Contributor III

thanks for your reply. I do thought about that solution but what about if I  Have several jsons file that i need to read with different schema (similar but not exatly like) ? 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!