cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Predicting compute required to run Spark jobs

kseyser
New Contributor II

Im working on a project to predict compute (cores) required to run spark jobs. Has anyone work on this or something similar before? How did you get started? 

2 REPLIES 2

Yeshwanth
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@kseyser good day,

This documentation might help you in your use-case: https://docs.databricks.com/en/compute/cluster-config-best-practices.html#compute-sizing-considerati...

Kind regards,

Yesh

kseyser
New Contributor II

Hi @Yeshwanth, thank you for directing me to the documentation. I don't know much about computations, so I'm still figuring things out. So is there like a straight forward (standard) way to calculate the compute (no. of cores & memory) required to run spark jobs based on certain data volume of the job, frequency of the jobs, and number of jobs? I read that the data is generally partitioned into 128MB and the executor memory is divided into 300 MB reserved memory, 60% execution memory, and 40% storage memory. How would this help me calculate the compute for a data of size, say 1.5 TB? 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!