Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PythonException: TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

kll
New Contributor III

I get an PythonException: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType' when attempting to save a DataFrame as a Delta Table. 

Here's the line of code that I am running:

```

df.write.format("delta").saveAsTable("schema1.df_table", mode="overwrite")

root

|-- ts: timestamp (nullable = true)

|-- _source: string (nullable = true)

|-- lat: decimal(9,6) (nullable = true)

|-- lng: decimal(9,6) (nullable = true)

|-- id: string (nullable = false)

|-- mm-yyyy: date (nullable = true)

|-- hid: string (nullable = true)

```

PythonException: An exception was thrown from the Python worker. Please see the stack trace below. 'TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'', from , line 3. Full traceback below: Traceback (most recent call last): File "", line 3, in TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

How do we handle `None` in the spark DataFrame? I'd like to identify which rows / columns contain `None` and drop them? 

4 REPLIES 4

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@kll - can you please try using try/catch option to convert None to an unique value for the decimal columns. 

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

something like the below 

try:
if lng is not None:
new_lng = lng
else:
new_lng = 0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kll 

Hope you are well. Just wanted to see if you were able to find an answer to your question and would you like to mark an answer as best? It would be really helpful for the other members too.

Cheers!

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Even though the code throws the issue while write, the issue can be in the code before as spark is lazily evaluated. The error "TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'" generally comes when we pass a variable to float() function and the value of the variable at that time is None. I would recommend you to check for such issues.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.