Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting environment variables to use in a SQL Delta Live Table Pipeline

ac0
New Contributor III

I'm trying to use the Global Init Scripts in Databricks to set an environment variable to use in a Delta Live Table Pipeline. I want to be able to reference a value passed in as a path versus hard coding it. Here is the code for my pipeline:

CREATE STREAMING LIVE TABLE data
COMMENT "Raw data in delta format"
TBLPROPERTIES ("quality" = "bronze", "pipelines.autoOptimize.zOrderCols" = "id")
AS
SELECT *, id FROM cloud_files(
  "${TEST_VAR}data/files", "json", map("cloudFiles.inferColumnTypes", "true")
  )

However, when I set up a global init script like below, it doesn't appear on the list of environment variables on the job compute cluster.

#!/bin/sh

sudo echo TEST_VAR=TESTING >> /etc/environment

Is this because the cluster type is PIPELINE? Is what I am attempting to do possible? Are Global Init Scripts even run when using Delta Live Table Pipelines, can can environment variables be referenced in SQL-style pipelines? I am finding little documentation about this online.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ac0
New Contributor III

I was able to accomplish this by creating a Cluster Policy that put in place the scripts, config settings, and environment variables I needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Could you please check if you are using shared access cluster mode? 

https://docs.databricks.com/en/init-scripts/index.html

Priyanka_Biswas
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance!

ac0
New Contributor III

I was able to accomplish this by creating a Cluster Policy that put in place the scripts, config settings, and environment variables I needed.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.