cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SQL UDF vs. Python UDF, SQL UDF vs. Pandas UDF

johnb1
Contributor

I would like to understand how

(1) SQL UDFs compare to Python UDFs

(2) SQL UDFs compare to Pandas UDFs

Especially in terms of performance.

I cannot find any documentation on the topics, also not in the official Databricks documentation (which unfortunately is kind of a pattern).

I do not need information regarding the comparison between Python UDFs and Pandas UDFs though.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jennie258fitz
New Contributor

@johnb1 nystateofhealth wrote:

I cannot find any documentation on the topics, also not in the official Databricks documentation (which unfortunately is kind of a pattern).

I do not need information regarding the comparison between Python UDFs and Pandas UDFs though.

Thanks in advance!

Letโ€™s break down the comparisons between SQL UDFs, Python UDFs, and Pandas UDFs, especially focusing on performance.

1. SQL UDFs vs. Python UDFs
SQL UDFs (User Defined Functions):

Execution Context: They run directly in the SQL engine.
Performance: Generally faster than Python UDFs because they execute in the same engine as the SQL queries, leveraging optimizations like vectorized execution.
Use Cases: Best for simple logic and computations that can be expressed in SQL. Ideal for operations like aggregations, conditional logic, and string manipulations.
Type Safety: SQL UDFs are typically more type-safe due to their strict typing system.
Python UDFs:

Execution Context: Run in a separate Python environment, which introduces overhead.
Performance: Slower than SQL UDFs, especially for large datasets, because of serialization/deserialization costs when data is moved between the Spark engine and the Python process.
Use Cases: Useful for complex logic, machine learning models, or when leveraging Python libraries. However, they should be used sparingly for performance-sensitive tasks.
Flexibility: Greater flexibility and ease of use for complex data manipulations that can't be easily expressed in SQL.
2. SQL UDFs vs. Pandas UDFs
Pandas UDFs:

Execution Context: They run in a Python environment but are optimized for Apache Arrow, which allows for efficient data transfer between Spark and Pandas.
Performance: Faster than traditional Python UDFs due to vectorization and reduced serialization overhead, making them more suitable for processing larger datasets.
Use Cases: Ideal for applying complex operations that benefit from the flexibility of Pandas while still leveraging the distributed nature of Spark. Suitable for batch processing and transforming data.
Scalability: Can handle larger data volumes better than standard Python UDFs due to Arrow's optimized performance.
Summary of Performance Considerations
SQL UDFs are typically the fastest option for straightforward operations and should be the first choice when possible.
Pandas UDFs offer a good balance between performance and flexibility, especially for data manipulation that leverages Pandasโ€™ capabilities.
Python UDFs should be used when necessary, but they come with performance trade-offs, especially for large datasets, due to their overhead.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jennie258fitz
New Contributor

@johnb1 nystateofhealth wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Letโ€™s break down the comparisons between SQL UDFs, Python UDFs, and Pandas UDFs, especially focusing on performance.

1. SQL UDFs vs. Python UDFs
SQL UDFs (User Defined Functions):

Execution Context: They run directly in the SQL engine.
Performance: Generally faster than Python UDFs because they execute in the same engine as the SQL queries, leveraging optimizations like vectorized execution.
Use Cases: Best for simple logic and computations that can be expressed in SQL. Ideal for operations like aggregations, conditional logic, and string manipulations.
Type Safety: SQL UDFs are typically more type-safe due to their strict typing system.
Python UDFs:

Execution Context: Run in a separate Python environment, which introduces overhead.
Performance: Slower than SQL UDFs, especially for large datasets, because of serialization/deserialization costs when data is moved between the Spark engine and the Python process.
Use Cases: Useful for complex logic, machine learning models, or when leveraging Python libraries. However, they should be used sparingly for performance-sensitive tasks.
Flexibility: Greater flexibility and ease of use for complex data manipulations that can't be easily expressed in SQL.
2. SQL UDFs vs. Pandas UDFs
Pandas UDFs:

Execution Context: They run in a Python environment but are optimized for Apache Arrow, which allows for efficient data transfer between Spark and Pandas.
Performance: Faster than traditional Python UDFs due to vectorization and reduced serialization overhead, making them more suitable for processing larger datasets.
Use Cases: Ideal for applying complex operations that benefit from the flexibility of Pandas while still leveraging the distributed nature of Spark. Suitable for batch processing and transforming data.
Scalability: Can handle larger data volumes better than standard Python UDFs due to Arrow's optimized performance.
Summary of Performance Considerations
SQL UDFs are typically the fastest option for straightforward operations and should be the first choice when possible.
Pandas UDFs offer a good balance between performance and flexibility, especially for data manipulation that leverages Pandasโ€™ capabilities.
Python UDFs should be used when necessary, but they come with performance trade-offs, especially for large datasets, due to their overhead.

johnb1
Contributor

I am absolutely delighted with this detailed and fast response. This was exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks a lot @jennie258fitz 

Since I was not successful in finding any official information on SQL UDFs, in particular how they compare to the other two, do you happen to have some references, ideally from some official Spark or Databricks source?

gchandra
Contributor

Hi @gchandra I revised that documentation already. Very strangely, SQL UDFs are not mentioned there!

gchandra
Contributor

The first sublink has SQL UDFs where you can write your SQL UDF using SQL or Python. This Python implementation is different from the one mentioned above.

https://docs.databricks.com/en/udf/unity-catalog.html

~

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group