Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Warehouse - Table does not support overwrite by expression:

adriennn
Contributor

I'm copying data from a foreign catalog using a replace where logic in the target table, this work fine for two other tables. But for a specific one, I keep getting this error:

Table does not support overwrite by expression: DeltaTableV2(org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession@...,abfss://...@....dfs.core.windows.net/__unitystorage/catalogs/.../tables/...,Some(CatalogTable( Catalog: ...Database: ...Table: ...Owner: c... Created Time: ... Last Access: UNKNOWN Created By: Spark Type: MANAGED Provider: delta Table Properties: [delta.checkpoint.writeStatsAsJson=false, delta.checkpoint.writeStatsAsStruct=true, delta.columnMapping.maxColumnId=91, delta.columnMapping.mode=name, delta.enableChangeDataFeed=false, delta.lastCommitTimestamp=1700647538000, delta.lastUpdateVersion=0, delta.minReaderVersion=2, delta.minWriterVersion=5]

Anybody has seen this before? I tried deleting the table, creating using another name, nothing works. Seems there either is some issue with field names or maybe something in the data? The table copies fine if I don't use the replace where logic in the query.

fails

insert into mycatalog.mydb.mytable
replace where myfield >= {{ pipeline param }}
select * from myforeigncatalog.mydb.mytable;

works
insert into mycatalog.mydb.mytable
select * from myforeigncatalog.mydb.mytable;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @adriennn, When facing the "Table does not support overwrite by expression" error, consider these quick steps:

1. Check Delta table overwrite compatibility.
  2. Verify schema alignment and column types.
  3. Review and validate the replace where expression.
  4. Ensure no reserved keywords in field names.
  5. Debug incrementally; start with a simple SELECT * query.
  6. Wrap your query in a try block for exception handling.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @adriennn, When facing the "Table does not support overwrite by expression" error, consider these quick steps:

1. Check Delta table overwrite compatibility.
  2. Verify schema alignment and column types.
  3. Review and validate the replace where expression.
  4. Ensure no reserved keywords in field names.
  5. Debug incrementally; start with a simple SELECT * query.
  6. Wrap your query in a try block for exception handling.

adriennn
Contributor

Thank you for the checklist @Kaniz,

> Review and validate the replace where expression.

I was using dateadd() with a pipeline parameter, dateadd() returns a timestamp, which was being compared against a date column which threw the error.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @adriennn, To resolve this, consider extracting only the date part from the timestamp.

Thanks @Kaniz of course this is what I did.

But I think the bottom line of this issue is the unclear error message, which clearly states that the target delta table is incompatible, when the error is clearly on the source side.

A.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.