cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Serverless sql cluster on GCP

ashraf1395
New Contributor II

Hello there,
I am trying to start a serverless databricks SQL cluster in GCP. I am following this databricks doc: https://docs.gcp.databricks.com/en/admin/sql/serverless.html
I have checked that all my requirements are fulfilled for activating the cluster

I am following the steps as mentioned

1. Go to the feature enablement tab of the account console settings page.

2. A banner at the top of the page prompts you to accept the additional terms. Once you read the terms, click Accept. If you do not see the banner asking you to accept the terms, this step has been completed already.

3. Go to the settings page.

4. Select Compute.

5. Click Manage next to SQL warehouses.

6. Turn on Serverless SQL warehouses (On).

I am not able to find any button or thing to turn on the serverless SQL warehouse, what am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2024-05-07 113120.png

Screenshot 2024-05-07 113137.png

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashraf1395, It seems you’re encountering some confusion while trying to enable the serverless SQL cluster in Databricks on Google Cloud Platform (GCP).

Let’s troubleshoot this together!

First, I appreciate that you’ve followed the steps outlined in the documentation. However, there might be a couple of reasons why you’re not seeing the option to turn on the SQL Serverless warehouse:

1. Compatibility with GCP:

2. Documentation Mismatch:

3. Compute Configuration Best Practices:

In summary, if you’re specifically looking for serverless compute, it might not be directly available on GCP. However, you can explore other options or consider using a different cloud provider. 

Remember that technology evolves, and sometimes the information we find might not be the most current. Keep exploring and adapting, and you’ll find the right solution! 😊4213

View solution in original post

ashraf1395
New Contributor II

Thanks @Kaniz, I will look into ephemeral clusters.
Can you share the link for the official databricks on gcp documentation? I didn't find it in the post link you shared.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashraf1395, Here are the official Databricks documentation links specifically for the Google Cloud Platform (GCP):

1. Databricks on Google Cloud Documentation:

2. Developer Tools and Guidance:

3. Databricks Reference Documentation:

Feel free to explore these resources to get a deeper understanding of Databricks on GCP. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask! 😊4

ashraf1395
New Contributor II

I had another question. Though not related to this thread.

Do databricks has any plan for startups, like they have normal free trial

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashraf1395Databricks offers a program specifically designed for startups called “Databricks for Startups.” If you’re building data-driven applications and have raised venture capital (VC) funding, this program can be beneficial for your startup.

Here are the key features of Databricks for Startups:

1. Free Credits:

• Startups accepted into the program receive up to $21,000 in free credits to use on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform.
    • These credits allow you to explore and build data-driven solutions without worrying about infrastructure costs.
  2. Expert Advice:

• As part of the program, you gain access to advice from Databricks experts and the community.
    • Whether you need guidance on architecture, best practices, or troubleshooting, the Databricks community can provide valuable insights.
  3. Go-to-Market Support:

• Databricks helps startups reach more customers by providing access to marketing resources, events, and other promotional opportunities.
    • Leveraging Databricks’ marketing channels can help increase your startup’s visibility.
  4. Built on the Databricks Lakehouse:

If you’re a startup founder working on data-driven applications, I encourage you to apply for Databricks for Startups. It’s a great opportunity to leverage Databricks’ powerful platform and accelerate your product development. Best of luck with your startup journey! 😊🚀1

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashraf1395, It seems you’re encountering some confusion while trying to enable the serverless SQL cluster in Databricks on Google Cloud Platform (GCP).

Let’s troubleshoot this together!

First, I appreciate that you’ve followed the steps outlined in the documentation. However, there might be a couple of reasons why you’re not seeing the option to turn on the SQL Serverless warehouse:

1. Compatibility with GCP:

2. Documentation Mismatch:

3. Compute Configuration Best Practices:

In summary, if you’re specifically looking for serverless compute, it might not be directly available on GCP. However, you can explore other options or consider using a different cloud provider. 

Remember that technology evolves, and sometimes the information we find might not be the most current. Keep exploring and adapting, and you’ll find the right solution! 😊4213

ashraf1395
New Contributor II

Thanks @Kaniz, I will look into ephemeral clusters.
Can you share the link for the official databricks on gcp documentation? I didn't find it in the post link you shared.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashraf1395, Here are the official Databricks documentation links specifically for the Google Cloud Platform (GCP):

1. Databricks on Google Cloud Documentation:

2. Developer Tools and Guidance:

3. Databricks Reference Documentation:

Feel free to explore these resources to get a deeper understanding of Databricks on GCP. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask! 😊4

ashraf1395
New Contributor II

I had another question. Though not related to this thread.

Do databricks has any plan for startups, like they have normal free trial

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashraf1395Databricks offers a program specifically designed for startups called “Databricks for Startups.” If you’re building data-driven applications and have raised venture capital (VC) funding, this program can be beneficial for your startup.

Here are the key features of Databricks for Startups:

1. Free Credits:

• Startups accepted into the program receive up to $21,000 in free credits to use on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform.
    • These credits allow you to explore and build data-driven solutions without worrying about infrastructure costs.
  2. Expert Advice:

• As part of the program, you gain access to advice from Databricks experts and the community.
    • Whether you need guidance on architecture, best practices, or troubleshooting, the Databricks community can provide valuable insights.
  3. Go-to-Market Support:

• Databricks helps startups reach more customers by providing access to marketing resources, events, and other promotional opportunities.
    • Leveraging Databricks’ marketing channels can help increase your startup’s visibility.
  4. Built on the Databricks Lakehouse:

If you’re a startup founder working on data-driven applications, I encourage you to apply for Databricks for Startups. It’s a great opportunity to leverage Databricks’ powerful platform and accelerate your product development. Best of luck with your startup journey! 😊🚀1