cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream-stream window join after time window aggregation not working in 13.1

azera
New Contributor II

Hey,

I'm trying to perform Time window aggregation in two different streams followed by stream-stream window join described here. I'm running Databricks Runtime 13.1, exactly as advised.

However, when I'm reproducing the following code:

clicksWindow = clicksWithWatermark.groupBy(
  clicksWithWatermark.clickAdId,
  window(clicksWithWatermark.clickTime, "1 hour")
).count()

impressionsWindow = impressionsWithWatermark.groupBy(
  impressionsWithWatermark.impressionAdId,
  window(impressionsWithWatermark.impressionTime, "1 hour")
).count()

clicksWindow.join(impressionsWindow, "window", "inner")

I'm not getting any result from the joined table in append mode. It is just empty no matter whether I'm using AdId in groupBy or not. The same behaviour is in Python and Scala.

If I join on window.end, not window, then I start receiving results but then I can use only inner join (as the joined condition, window.end, is not a watermarked column) but I need do to outer join for my use case (even with inner join, state seems to increase indefinitely).

Any help with reproducing this example is appreciated

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Andrzej Zera​ 

Great to meet you, and thanks for your question!

Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question. Thanks.

Happyfield7
New Contributor II

Hey,

I'm currently facing the same problem, so I would to know if you've made any progress in resolving this issue.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.