cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time travel on views

NathanE
New Contributor II

Hello,

At my company, we design an application to analyze data, and we can do so on top of external databases such as Databricks. Our application cache some data in-memory and to avoid synchronization issues with the data on Databricks, we rely heavily on the time travel feature, which works very well !

However, time travel on views (and materialized views) is not an available feature, and I would like to know if it is something planned.

There are some technical implementation details that would make that feature perfect for our use case: we want to be able to time travel on views, either through the view version (just like for delta table currently), or through the versions of the tables that are part of the view.

Indeed, our application, can use a view just like a table, and so we would like to time travel on it like for tables. But sometimes, our application use a view and is aware it is a view of other tables (the application routes query to the view or the tables base on the granularity of the request). In that case, we would like to time travel to a specific version matching the specific versions of the underlying tables.

Regards,

1 REPLY 1

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@NathanE As you said, based on below article it may not support currenlty https://docs.databricks.com/en/sql/user/materialized-views.html, but at the same time looks as Materialized View is built on top of table and It is synchronous operation ( when backend table changes version then you can create refresh of u r MV, but direct way is not possible i think) , seems near future we need to see databricks may come up with different approach to handle time travel for views

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.