cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unity Catalog Primary key column taking duplicates

AkasBala
New Contributor III

I have Updated a Hive Meta Store from a Unity Catalog. I have setup Primary keys on the table. When I try to insert duplicates its succeeding Inserts and seems like PK is not working. Anyone else seeing such behaviour ?

4 REPLIES 4

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, When you say PK is not working, is there any error surfaced?

Please tag @Debayanโ€‹ with your next comment so that I will get notified. Thank you!

AkasBala
New Contributor III

@Debayan Mukherjeeโ€‹ Im able to insert the same record where we have Primary key setup on the table.

AkasBala
New Contributor III

-----------------

ALTER TABLE ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods ALTER COLUMN iCompanyId SET NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods ALTER COLUMN iPeriodId SET NOT NULL

ALTER TABLE ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods ADD CONSTRAINT companyperiods_pk PRIMARY KEY(iCompanyId,iPeriodId);

select iCompanyId,iPeriodId, count(1) from ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods

group by iCompanyId,iPeriodId

having count(1) > 1

insert into table ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods

values ('1','182','1996-08-31 23:59:59.998','Aug 1998','1996-08-31 00:00:00.000','C','2023-05-11 15:01:43.707')

Select * from ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods

where iCompanyId = '1' and iPeriodId='182'

delete from ccietlfindev.finsilver.companyperiods

where  iCompanyId = '1' and iPeriodId='182' and PeriodDesc='Aug 1997'

Select * from companyperiods

In the case when I run count after the second record insert, I see 2 records instead of just one and should have failed saying "you are trying to insert duplicate records where there is a primary key setup"

@Debayan Mukherjeeโ€‹ 

AkasBala
New Contributor III

@Debayan Mukherjeeโ€‹ Any info on the above plz ??