cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unity catalog with external table and column masking

christian_chong
New Contributor III

Hi everbody, 

I am facing a issue with spark structured steaming. 

here is a sample of my code: 

df = spark.readStream.load(f"{bronze_table_path}") df.writeStream \ .format("delta") \ .option("checkpointLocation", f"{silver_checkpoint}") \ .option("mergeSchema", "true") \ .trigger(availableNow=True) \ .outputMode("append") \ .start(path=f"{silver_table_path}")<div> The code above work pretty well<div><p>But if i add column masking to silver table, and rerun the notebook i get the following error <li-code lang="markup">Exception: Exception in quality process: [RequestId=xxxx-exxx-xxxx-adf4-86b9b7e82252 ErrorClass=INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE.INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE] Input path gs://table overlaps with other external tables or volumes. Conflicting tables/volumes: xxx.xxx.table, xxx.xxx.another_table JVM stacktrace: com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.UnityCatalogServiceException at com.databricks.managedcatalog.TypeConversionUtils$.toUnityCatalogDeniedException(TypeConversionUtils.scala:2224) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.TypeConversionUtils$.toCatalyst(TypeConversionUtils.scala:2181) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.$anonfun$checkPathAccess$1(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:4088) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.$anonfun$recordAndWrapException$2(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:4555) at com.databricks.spark.util.FrameProfiler$.record(FrameProfiler.scala:94) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.$anonfun$recordAndWrapException$1(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:4554) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ErrorDetailsHandler.wrapServiceException(ErrorDetailsHandler.scala:26) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ErrorDetailsHandler.wrapServiceException$(ErrorDetailsHandler.scala:24) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.wrapServiceException(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:158) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.recordAndWrapException(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:4551) at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.checkPathAccess(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:4064) at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogCommon.checkPathAccess(ManagedCatalogCommon.scala:1974) at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.$anonfun$checkPathAccess$1(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:633) at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.MetricKeyUtils$.measure(MetricKey.scala:714) at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.$anonfun$profile$1(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:62) at com.databricks.spark.util.FrameProfiler$.record(FrameProfiler.scala:94) at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.profile(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:61) at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.checkPathAccess(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:633) at com.databricks.unity.CredentialScopeSQLHelper$.registerShortestParentPath(CredentialScopeSQLHelper.scala:299) at com.databricks.unity.CredentialScopeSQLHelper$.register(CredentialScopeSQLHelper.scala:195) at com.databricks.unity.CredentialScopeSQLHelper$.registerPathAccess(CredentialScopeSQLHelper.scala:638) at org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamUtils$.$anonfun$registerSinkPathInUC$1(DataStreamUtils.scala:267) at org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamUtils$.$anonfun$registerSinkPathInUC$1$adapted(DataStreamUtils.scala:266) at scala.Option.foreach(Option.scala:407) at org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamUtils$.registerSinkPathInUC(DataStreamUtils.scala:266) at org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamWriter.startInternal(DataStreamWriter.scala:478) at org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.DataStreamWriter.start(DataStreamWriter.scala:256) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.planner.SparkConnectPlanner.handleWriteStreamOperationStart(SparkConnectPlanner.scala:3218) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.planner.SparkConnectPlanner.process(SparkConnectPlanner.scala:2697) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner.handleCommand(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:285) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner.$anonfun$executeInternal$1(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:229) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner.$anonfun$executeInternal$1$adapted(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:167) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.service.SessionHolder.$anonfun$withSession$2(SessionHolder.scala:332) at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession.withActive(SparkSession.scala:1175) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.service.SessionHolder.$anonfun$withSession$1(SessionHolder.scala:332) at org.apache.spark.JobArtifactSet$.withActiveJobArtifactState(JobArtifactSet.scala:97) at org.apache.spark.sql.artifact.ArtifactManager.$anonfun$withResources$1(ArtifactManager.scala:84) at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$.withContextClassLoader(Utils.scala:234) at org.apache.spark.sql.artifact.ArtifactManager.withResources(ArtifactManager.scala:83) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.service.SessionHolder.withSession(SessionHolder.scala:331) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner.executeInternal(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:167) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner.org$apache$spark$sql$connect$execution$ExecuteThreadRunner$$execute(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:118) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner$ExecutionThread.$anonfun$run$1(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:349) at com.databricks.unity.UCSEphemeralState$Handle.runWith(UCSEphemeralState.scala:45) at com.databricks.unity.HandleImpl.runWith(UCSHandle.scala:103) at com.databricks.unity.HandleImpl.$anonfun$runWithAndClose$1(UCSHandle.scala:108) at scala.util.Using$.resource(Using.scala:269) at com.databricks.unity.HandleImpl.runWithAndClose(UCSHandle.scala:107) at org.apache.spark.sql.connect.execution.ExecuteThreadRunner$ExecutionThread.run(ExecuteThreadRunner.scala:348)

all table are external table and schema are managed schema

It is a known limitation of column masking ? 

Thanks you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

christian_chong
New Contributor III

My first message was not well formatted. 

i wrote : 

df = spark.readStream.load(f"{bronze_table_path}") 
df.writeStream \ 
.format("delta") \ 
.option("checkpointLocation", f"{silver_checkpoint}") \ 
.option("mergeSchema", "true") \ 
.trigger(availableNow=True) \ 
.outputMode("append") \ 
.start(path=f"{silver_table_path}")

But if i add column masking to silver table, and rerun the notebook i get the following error  ... 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

christian_chong
New Contributor III

My first message was not well formatted. 

i wrote : 

df = spark.readStream.load(f"{bronze_table_path}") 
df.writeStream \ 
.format("delta") \ 
.option("checkpointLocation", f"{silver_checkpoint}") \ 
.option("mergeSchema", "true") \ 
.trigger(availableNow=True) \ 
.outputMode("append") \ 
.start(path=f"{silver_table_path}")

But if i add column masking to silver table, and rerun the notebook i get the following error  ... 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group