cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update DeltaTable on column type ArrayType(): add element to array

carlosancassani
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I need to perform an Update on a Delta Table adding elements to a column of ArrayType(StringType()) which is initialized empty.

Before Update

Col_1 StringType()Col_2 StringType()Col_3 ArrayType()
ValVal[ ]

After Update

Col_1 StringType()Col_2 StringType()Col_3 ArrayType()
ValVal[ 'append value' ]

I'm trying with Update syntax but a receive errors within the "set" statement since updated value type (StringType) is not consistent with target one - ArrayType(StringType()):

schema = StructType([ 
StructField("Load_id", StringType(), True), 
StructField("Task_id", StringType(), True), 
StructField("Task_output", StringType(), True), 
StructField("Task_output_detail", ArrayType(StringType()), True), StructField("Execution_ts", TimestampType(), True), 
StructField("Task_status", StringType(), True)]) 

#some code to init materialize the delta table

Task_output_detail = "Invalid value" 
Log_table = DeltaTable.forPath(spark, path) 
Log_table.update( 
condition = (col("Load_id")== Load_id) & (col("Task_id")== Task_id), 
set = { "Task_output": lit(Task_output), "Task_output_detail": Task_output_detail, "Execution_ts": lit(Execution_ts), "Task_status": lit('Closed')})

Does anyone know a "smart" solution or correct syntaxt to achieve that? I want to avoid deleting the raw and creating a new one since I have to perform multiple updates / appends. 

Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @carlosancassani, It seems like you’re trying to append a string to an array column in a Delta table. The error you’re encountering is because you’re trying to assign a string value to an array column, which is not allowed due to type mismatch.

To append a string to an array column, you can use the concat function from PySpark’s pyspark.sql.functions module. This function concatenates multiple input columns together into a single column. You can use it with the array function to append a string to an array.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

SerhiiShyika
New Contributor II

Does it mean that to add an element to an array we have first read all the elements of the array, then add new one, the save new array?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.