Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the %debug magic in DataBricks notebook

New Contributor III

When developing locally, I can write %debug in a new cell after encountering an error, and jump into the function that the error originated from. In Databricks, this freezes the notebook indefinitely.

For example:

In [1]:

def query_data():

df_full = query("SELECT * FROM mytable")

df = df_full[df_full.mycolumn > 100]

assert not df.empty

return df

query_data()

Out [1]: AssertionError

In [2] %debug

(interactive prompt to explore df_full)

How do I get this functionality? I can get it in the Cloud Terminal, but that doesn't have the same python environment as my notebooks, so I can't really test things.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Matt Ritter​, Notebooks run on Databricks Runtime 11.2 and above only support The Python Debugger (pdb). Which DBR version are you using?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Matt Ritter​, Notebooks run on Databricks Runtime 11.2 and above only support The Python Debugger (pdb). Which DBR version are you using?

New Contributor III

If I am reading my "compute" tab correctly we are using 10.4 To my knowledge, we have no reason not to upgrade, and now it looks like pdb would be a solid benefit. Any warnings before I try that upgrade?​

Screenshot of 'compute' tab

New Contributor III

I just upgraded my personal node and %debug worked! I appreciate the reminder to use pdb() itself when appropriate too.

I'm still interested in whether we should have any concerns about upgrading our main cluster - please do let me know, and then I'll happily close out the question!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Matt Ritter​, The following release notes provide information about Databricks Runtime 11.2, powered by Apache Spark™ 3.3.0. Databricks released these images in September 2022.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.