cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to find deltalake version on OSS and Databricks at runtime?

yousry
New Contributor II

To identify certain deltalake features available on a certain installation, it is important to have a robust way to identify deltalake version. For OSS, I found that the below Scala snippet will do the job.

import io.delta
println(io.delta.VERSION)

Not sure if there is an equivalent method in Python to get the version at runtime. I am not after something like pip show deltalake.

Anyway, the other aspect is that the above snippet on Databricks returns a strange value. For example on DBR 12.0, I got 1.1.0 which does not match 2.2.0 version published on DBR 12.0 release notes page.

I know that deltalake on Databricks does not necessarily have to match a certain OSS version (at lease before open sourcing delta).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shan_chandra
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Yousry Mohamed​ - could you please check the DBR runtime release notes for the Delta lake API compatibility matrix section ( DBR version vs Delta lake compatible version) for the mapping.

Reference: https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/runtime/releases.html#delta-api-compatibility-matrix

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shan_chandra
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Yousry Mohamed​ - could you please check the DBR runtime release notes for the Delta lake API compatibility matrix section ( DBR version vs Delta lake compatible version) for the mapping.

Reference: https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/runtime/releases.html#delta-api-compatibility-matrix

yousry
New Contributor II

Thanks Shan, really useful page with other bits of information as well.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group