Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to find deltalake version on OSS and Databricks at runtime?

yousry
New Contributor II

To identify certain deltalake features available on a certain installation, it is important to have a robust way to identify deltalake version. For OSS, I found that the below Scala snippet will do the job.

import io.delta
println(io.delta.VERSION)

Not sure if there is an equivalent method in Python to get the version at runtime. I am not after something like pip show deltalake.

Anyway, the other aspect is that the above snippet on Databricks returns a strange value. For example on DBR 12.0, I got 1.1.0 which does not match 2.2.0 version published on DBR 12.0 release notes page.

I know that deltalake on Databricks does not necessarily have to match a certain OSS version (at lease before open sourcing delta).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@Yousry Mohamed​ - could you please check the DBR runtime release notes for the Delta lake API compatibility matrix section ( DBR version vs Delta lake compatible version) for the mapping.

Reference: https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/runtime/releases.html#delta-api-compatibility-matrix

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@Yousry Mohamed​ - could you please check the DBR runtime release notes for the Delta lake API compatibility matrix section ( DBR version vs Delta lake compatible version) for the mapping.

Reference: https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/runtime/releases.html#delta-api-compatibility-matrix

yousry
New Contributor II

Thanks Shan, really useful page with other bits of information as well.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.