Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I delete experiments without deleting the notebook? Or better Organize experiments into folders?

SparkMaster
New Contributor III

My Databricks Experiments is cluttered with a whole lot of experiments. Many of them are notebooks which are showing there for some reason (even though they didn't have an MLflow run associated with it). I would like to delete the experiments, but it gives the message "Note: This action will also delete the notebook that corresponds to this experiment.

Are you sure you want to delete [notebook_name]?" Why isn't there an option to delete the experiment without deleting the notebook? It makes no sense. Also, why can't we create folder structures to better organize the experiments?

9 REPLIES 9

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Did you create notebook experiments? https://docs.databricks.com/mlflow/experiments.html#create-notebook-experiment

Also, workspace experiments can be created: https://docs.databricks.com/mlflow/experiments.html#create-workspace-experiment

Please let us know if this helps. Also, please tag @Debayan​ with your next comment so I will be getting notified.

SparkMaster
New Contributor III

Hi, no, for some reason the notebooks I create on my workspace are automatically populating the experiments page; these notebooks have no experiments associated with them. Why is this? The experiments page gets cluttered with all these notebooks for no reason, and I can't simply delete these experiments because then the notebook is automatically deleted.

SparkMaster
New Contributor III

@Debayan Mukherjee​ , As you can see below, I create a blank notebook, and then it is automatically added to the Experiments page, even though nothing in it is related to MLflow. How can I prevent this? It is making my Experiments page very confusing to navigate. image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seylan Naidoo​ 

We haven't heard from you since the last response from @Debayan Mukherjee​ ​, and I was checking back to see if her suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others. 

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Hi, unfortunately not. When I create and run a notebook on my workspace, they are getting added to the Experiments page even though they is nothing related to "MLflow on these notebooks.

@Anonymous , please remove my name from showing on this reply! Thanks. 

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi when you say creating notebooks ended up added in experiments page, do you mean if you create normal notebooks also it is getting added?

SparkMaster
New Contributor III

@Debayan Mukherjee​ Yes, please see the example image I showed above: if I go to my workspace, click the 3 dots on the right, then click Create and then select Notebook, this "normal" notebook is getting added to the experiments page.

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, apologies for the delayed response. Was this issue resolved? 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.