cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration and deletion of metastore

OwenDB
New Contributor III

Good afternoon,

We are in the process of setting up Unity Cat, we started in our existing workspace and set it up fine. We are particularly interested in federating existing warehouses at this point. We were able to federate one datawarehouse (dwh1) but to federate the other (dwh2) we will need to create a new workspace that will allow a VNET peering to connect to it. This is fine, we have set this up.

So now we have :

Workspace 1 >

• Existing notebooks & code
  • Hive metastore with production data and analysis tables
  • Empty Unity Catalogue with connection to dwh1

Workspace 2 >

• Empty but set up in correct space in Azure to VNET peer to dwh2

When we go to set up Unity Cat in Workspace 2 we are told that we can only have one metastore per region.

Does this one metastore include our old Hive metastore?

I.E. can we delete the half set-up unity cat in Workspace 1, set up unity cat in Workspace 2, then slowly migrate existing code and notebooks till I can switch the production work to the new workspace?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

OwenDB
New Contributor III

Thanks Kaniz,

Can I check those links are ok before I reply? Would like to read everything but the link seems to point to the same article.

Thanks

Owen.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yeah, Sure!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.