Data Governance
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unity Catalog - Limited Options for Connection Objects

MiroFuoli
New Contributor II

Iā€™m currently trying to create a Foreign Catalog based on a Connection object of type SQLSERVER. This would allow me to directly access our on-premises MS SQL database from within Azure Databricks using Unity Catalog.

As Iā€™m part of a large organization, I have only limited control over the allowed connection types to this on-premises database. Thus, I'm required to specify the authentication scheme and enable integrated security to establish a successful connection.

Unfortunately, only a limited number of connection options are available according to the documentation, supported options are:

• host
  • port
  • trustServerCertificate
  • user
  • password

When I connect to the on-premises database using PySpark with the SQL Server JDBC driver it works, as the driver allows me to pass a connection string where I can specify integrated security to be true and the correct authentication scheme. However, with this approach I can't leverage from federated queries and need to connect to each table in the foreign database separately.

Is there any other approach to creating a Connection object in Unity Catalog that allows me to pass additional configuration options? 

Ultimately, I would like to have my on-premises SQL Server database accessible within Unity Catalog so I can leverage federated query execution.

3 REPLIES 3

MiroFuoli
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz,

Thank you for your answer. My question is not related to dbt, but rather Unity Catalog.

When creating a Connection object in Unity Catalog the default authentication method is Basic Authentication. I would like to know if I can override this setting. Specifically, I would like to know how I can specify Integrated Authentication when creating said Connection object in Unity Catalog?

Note: Nowadays, most corporate on-premises database systems reject connection attempts using Basic Authentication, as it is considered insecure. Integrated Authentication, however, relies on Kerberos technology, with strong credential encryption.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.