cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

region specific issue in Unity catalog

shahname
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am using Unity catalog on my databricks and all of my data resides in data lake which is located in west europe.

I have to onboard the Korea data to UC which is present on data lake pointing to south korea region

My question is do I need to setup a new UC to onboard the korea data or should I create a table in existing UC keeping in mind all the data compliance issue for korea region?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jacovangelder
Contributor III

I think what you're asking is if you need a new metastore for your Korea data. 
The technical answer is no. You can just onboard the Korean storage account as an external location in your west europe based Metastore. However you can't onboard Databricks workspaces into the metastore that have its regions outside of the metastores location. If you plan on adding Korea to your data governance setup, you might want to consider seperating each region with corresponding data assets through different metastores. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jacovangelder
Contributor III

I think what you're asking is if you need a new metastore for your Korea data. 
The technical answer is no. You can just onboard the Korean storage account as an external location in your west europe based Metastore. However you can't onboard Databricks workspaces into the metastore that have its regions outside of the metastores location. If you plan on adding Korea to your data governance setup, you might want to consider seperating each region with corresponding data assets through different metastores. 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!