cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unclear validation error message when adding a Unity Catalog metastore in Azure

alexlod
New Contributor III

I'm using Azure Databricks.

I've been following this guide to create a Unity Catalog metastore using a managed identity.

When I create the catalog and the validation step kicks off, I get this screen:

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 1.06.40 PM 

What does this mean?

If I click "Force create" and then assign the metastore to a workspace, I'm not able to write anything to the metastore. Eg, doing a simple "CREATE TABLE main.default.test" yields the following error:

[RequestId=<uuid> ErrorClass=INVALID_STATE] Failed to access cloud storage: AbfsRestOperationException exceptionTraceId=<uuid>

I believe that the failed validation is correct given I can't create a table, but I have no idea what's wrong. Any thoughts or pointers?

EDIT: formatting.

UPDATE: When creating the metastore, the "ADLS Gen 2 path" must exist in the storage container. Meaning, if the ADLS Gen 2 path value is "foo@bar.dfs.core.windows.net/baz", the "baz" folder must exist in the "foo" container. That gets the validation to pass. However, creating a table still creates the same error mentioned above.

UPDATE2: The issue was fully resolved by @Tom Smith​'s comment in this thread, which recommends to follow the upgrade documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Please look at the similar thread and let us know if that helps.

alexlod
New Contributor III

Hi @Debayan Mukherjee​, unfortunately that other thread isn't helpful because it's about AWS and I'm using Azure. Any other ideas? Thanks!

alexlod
New Contributor III

Read my "UPDATE2" for the answer/solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Alex Loddengaard​ 

Hope everything is going great.

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue. If yes, would you be happy to mark an answer as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly? If not, please tell us so we can help you. 

Cheers!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.