cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Generative AI
Explore discussions on generative artificial intelligence techniques and applications within the Databricks Community. Share ideas, challenges, and breakthroughs in this cutting-edge field.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AI/BI Genie - Call

MattB
New Contributor II

Hi

Is there any way to call a Genie space from a notebook and get the response ? Is there any API available?

#genie, #databricksgenie, #databricks_genie

9 REPLIES 9

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MattB, Yes, indeed! You can call a Genie space from a notebook and get responses through available APIs.

The documentation provides more details on how to integrate Genie Spaces seamlessly into your workflows.

Happy querying!

MattB
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response. I could not find any relevant content to integrate Genie into the workflow or on a notebook. Can you please be more specific

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MattBUnfortunately, there is no direct API or integration that allows you to call a Databricks Genie space from a notebook and get a response. Genie is a separate framework within Databricks that is designed for business users to interact with data using natural language, while notebooks are primarily used by data scientists and engineers to write code.

The key points are:

Genie Spaces and Notebooks are Separate Frameworks

• Genie spaces are designed for business users to interact with data through natural language, while notebooks are used by technical users to write code.
  • There is no built-in integration or API that allows you to directly call a Genie space from a notebook. 

Integrating Genie and Notebooks Requires Custom Development

• To integrate a Genie space with a notebook, you would need to make HTTP requests from the notebook to the Genie API endpoints. This would require custom development and integration work. 
  • There are no out-of-the-box solutions or APIs provided by Databricks to directly call a Genie space from a notebook. 

In summary, while Genie and Notebooks are both part of the Databricks Platform, they are separate tools designed for different user personas. Directly calling a Genie space from a notebook is not currently supported by Databricks. Any integration would require custom development work on the part of the user.

To integrate a Genie space with a notebook, you would need to make HTTP requests from the notebook to the Genie API endpoints. This would require custom development and integration work. 

Are there any examples or documentation available which provide further details on the HTTP requests involved here? Or any details of the Genie API endpoints in general?

Hi @jAAmes_bentley, There is no built-in integration or API provided by Databricks to directly call a Genie space from a notebook.

jAAmes_bentley
New Contributor III

Hi @MattB, did you manage to get much further with this? We currently have the same question, but you are correct that there is no information (which I could find) about serving a Genie endpoint either on the link provided by @Kaniz_Fatma or on the model serving documentation.

Hi @MattByou can still achieve this through custom development by making HTTP requests from the notebook to the Genie API endpoints.

Vadiraja
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz_Fatma, I too have a similar request. Your initial response was that there are no end points for Genie. However in your latest response, you have mentioned that we can achieve this through custom development. Can you please share sample code or point me to the documentation that describe Genie end points?

Quite good timing, I actually went to a Databricks Community event yesterday evening which featured a panel of Senior Solution Architects from Databricks. I raised this point with them and they confirmed that currently Genie has no endpoint, however an endpoint is coming "soon". They didn't clarify how soon "soon" is though!

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group