cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to include checkboxes in markdown cells in databricks notebook

teaholic
New Contributor III

Hi has anyone else tried to include checkboxes in markdown cells in databricks notebook?

I believe I followed the correct way for checkbox: - [ ] and - [x]

but the result I got is still no checkboxes.

Please help! Thanks!

%md
#to do: 
- [x] static variable
- [ ] input
- [ ] opeartion
- [ ] project life financial calc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

holly
Valued Contributor III

Hi all, it's basic markdown only + tables. Checkmarks are not supported. I use the basic section of this cheat sheet when I inevitably forget the syntax: https://www.markdownguide.org/cheat-sheet/#basic-syntax

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @teaholic

• The syntax for checkboxes in Markdown is correct: - [ ] for an unchecked box and - [x] for a checked box.
  • Make sure there’s a space between the brackets and the hyphen, like this: - [x].

teaholic
New Contributor III

Hi thanks for the reply however it does not solve the problem. Although used the right syntax, I still cannot see checkboxes rendered correctly in my Databricks notebook, see the screenshot.

teaholic_1-1718269659112.png

sk22
New Contributor II

Also doesn't work for me, they just render as dot points.

holly
Valued Contributor III

Hi all, it's basic markdown only + tables. Checkmarks are not supported. I use the basic section of this cheat sheet when I inevitably forget the syntax: https://www.markdownguide.org/cheat-sheet/#basic-syntax

teaholic
New Contributor III

Thanks for the answer - hope databricks can improve their support of markdown in the future

holly
Valued Contributor III

@teaholic could you explain a bit more about what the check marks are for and how you'd like to use them? I'd like to pass the feedback onto our product teams, but I know the first question I'll get from them is "can you tell me more about the use case?"

Hi @teaholic ,

If you really need this feature you can install ipywidgets library and use it as below:

from ipywidgets import Checkbox
mycheckbox_1 = Checkbox(description="Task 1 status")
mycheckbox_2 = Checkbox(description="Task 2 status")
display(mycheckbox_1)
display(mycheckbox_2)

Slash_0-1723117822260.png

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @teaholic and @sk22, If the response resolves your issue, kindly mark it as the accepted solution. This will help close the thread and assist others with similar queries.

We appreciate your participation and are here if you need further assistance!

holly
Valued Contributor III

Raised with the product team, I can't promise any timelines, but a few of the engineers think this might be a fun one for their next hackathon

renancy
New Contributor II

Hi @teaholic
I faced the same problem and found the 

✓ and ✗ notation that did work for me. Hope that helps.
renancy_0-1725455851302.png

Renancius

arnulfo
New Contributor II

Thanks, that’s a simple and practical solution!

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group