cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schema owned by Service Principal shows error in PBI

AdamStra2
New Contributor III

Background info:
1. We have unity catalog enabled. 
2. All of our jobs are run by Service Principal that has all necessary access it needs.

Issue:

One of the jobs checks existing schemas against the ones it is supposed to create in that given run and if it does not exists, it creates one. Hence, the SP sometimes becomes an owner of the schema. After that, given users, such as myself, get appropriate access to that schema and its objects (in this case all privileges, I am also Unity Catalog owner). Then, I start to share the schema via Delta Sharing. However, when I try to access it in PBI, I get the error following error (also shown in the attached picture): The column 'name' of the table wasn't found. 

pic.png
If I switch the schema owner to myself or another developer, the error disappears. I have tried this with my colleague - he was given all the necessary access privileges he needed but once SP became owner of the schema, he got the same error. Once I switched the owner of the schema to myself again, it all became visible. 

Any ideas why this behavior occurs? What could be the possible fix?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AdamStra2, This may be related to ownership chaining in SQL Server. Ownership chaining is a security feature in SQL Server that's designed to allow users to access objects in a database without requiring explicit permissions on the object itself.

However, if ownership chaining is broken, users may encounter issues with access to objects that should be accessible. The fact that switching the schema owner to yourself or another developer resolves the issue suggests that there may be a problem with the ownership chaining for the Service Principal.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AdamStra2, This may be related to ownership chaining in SQL Server. Ownership chaining is a security feature in SQL Server that's designed to allow users to access objects in a database without requiring explicit permissions on the object itself.

However, if ownership chaining is broken, users may encounter issues with access to objects that should be accessible. The fact that switching the schema owner to yourself or another developer resolves the issue suggests that there may be a problem with the ownership chaining for the Service Principal.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!