cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach instance profile to Model serving endpoint

megz
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm unable to attach an instance profile to a model serving end point. I followed the instructions on this page to update an existing model with an instance profile arn. I have verified the instance profile works by attaching it to a compute cluster. I get the following error in the response: 

status code and response.text.

{"error_code":"BAD_REQUEST","message":"Instance profile config is not supported!"}

I also tried creating a new end point with instance profile attached. No luck! same error. 

Please advise

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @megzyou are trying to attach an instance profile to a model serving endpoint in a Unity Catalog (UC) shared mode cluster based on the information provided.

However, for security reasons, instance profiles are not supported in UC shared mode clusters. If you want to use an instance profile with a UC cluster, you must switch to Single User or Service principal-enabled clusters. Here is the relevant information from the sources.

With UC Shared mode clusters, we cannot use instance profiles. If you would like to use an instance profile with a UC cluster, you have to either use Single User or Service principal-enabled clusters.

On Shared cluster instances profiles are bypassed because of security reasons.

Please note that the error message you received, "Instance profile config is not supported!" aligns with this information. I hope this answers your question. If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Also, please don't forget to click on the "Accept as Solution" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

megz
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz , thanks for the reply.
I'm not using any cluster for the serving endpoint. I'm using the serverless model deploy option from ML "serving". There's nothing either in the UI or the API that lets me choose the type of cluster.. The only options I have are the model, model version, compute size. I had to attach the instance profile via the API, which gives me the error "Instance profile config is not supported!". 

. Thanks.

megz
New Contributor II

Code snippet in picture attached.
I also tried to update a previously existing serving endpoint (PUT request to /api/2.0/serving-endpoints/{name}/config ) with the new config (which includes instance profile arn) and still get the same error.  

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.