cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checklist or Document for Migrating from Dev to Prod

Enzo_Bahrami
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone!

So we have a dev environment in Databricks and want to migrate it to prod.

I need it o go over every single table, schema, notebooks, and artifacts in the databricks and make sure nothing is hard-coded for example or that there is nothing compromising the prod environment.

Do you any checklist or resource to help in this regards? Maybe a checklist of what are the best practices and what to look over. I want to prepare a diagnosis of the current status of the project.

thank you all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

etsyal1e2r3
Honored Contributor

Well each workbook should be setting its variables at the beginning of the workbook that may be sensitive like sas tokens or other api keys. Each workbook should just grab data, manipulate it, and upsert it to an existing table. The tables should then have group permissions for each developer use-case to control access to data and abilities to write new data... if you work backwards from a list of sensitive keys you could certainly export all your workbooks and search through them programmatically... but definitely have devs use the markdown cells to title sections and the ability to collapse different logic portions. As I mentioned, it should be clear in the beginning of the workbook if possible. In addition you could make it practice to use widgets and have the user input the api keys manually (which can be input in the beginning of a workflow and inherited to every other eorkbook with the same widget variable... let me know what you think. Your devs should know everything about the code though and document how it all works with this sensitive secrets to reference...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Parsa Bahraminejad​ 

Great to meet you, and thanks for your question!

Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question. Thanks.

etsyal1e2r3
Honored Contributor

Well each workbook should be setting its variables at the beginning of the workbook that may be sensitive like sas tokens or other api keys. Each workbook should just grab data, manipulate it, and upsert it to an existing table. The tables should then have group permissions for each developer use-case to control access to data and abilities to write new data... if you work backwards from a list of sensitive keys you could certainly export all your workbooks and search through them programmatically... but definitely have devs use the markdown cells to title sections and the ability to collapse different logic portions. As I mentioned, it should be clear in the beginning of the workbook if possible. In addition you could make it practice to use widgets and have the user input the api keys manually (which can be input in the beginning of a workflow and inherited to every other eorkbook with the same widget variable... let me know what you think. Your devs should know everything about the code though and document how it all works with this sensitive secrets to reference...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Parsa Bahraminejad​ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.