cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Training offerings
Explore discussions on Databricks training programs and offerings within the Community. Get insights, recommendations, and support from peers to maximize your learning experience and advance your skills in data analytics and machine learning.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot run Classroom-setup (Coursera: Distributed Computing with Spark)

andremahfouz
New Contributor III

Hello!

I'm using Databricks Community Edition as part of the coursera course with UCDavis Distributed Computing with Spark.

I'm having an issue with this command:

%run ../Includes/Classroom-Setup

It worked for me previously and I was able to mount the data for the first module.

I get the following now:

https://community.cloud.databricks.com#notebook/4361834700622058/command/4361834700622062

Screenshot:

andremahfouz_0-1720700989568.png

Not sure what to do. Didn't change anything with the configuration file. Also reuploaded the .dbc file to make sure I didn't accidentally botch anything. Running on Windows 11 + Firefox.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @andremahfouzThanks for sharing the screenshot! It looks like the error message indicates an issue with access permissions, specifically related to the access keys used for mounting the data.

1. Ensure that the access keys (accessKey and secretKey) are still valid. If they have expired, you will need to obtain new keys. This might involve reaching out to the course administrators or checking any course resources for updated credentials.
  2. If you get new keys, update them in the Dataset-Mounts script. Ensure that the keys are correctly formatted and placed in the script.
  3. Sometimes, course materials get updated. Make sure you have the latest version of all scripts, including Classroom-Setup and Dataset-Mounts.
  4. If you suspect the issue is with the automated setup, try running the mounting commands manually in a new cell to see if you can isolate the problem.

If you can share the specific error message you’re seeing when trying to create the table, that might help narrow down the issue further. Let me know if you need any more help! 😊

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @andremahfouz

1. Make sure the path to the Classroom-Setup file is correct. Double-check that the relative path (../Includes/Classroom-Setup) points to the right location. Ensure that the file exists in the specified location.
  2. Confirm that you haven’t accidentally changed the file structure or directory where the course materials are stored. The setup file should be in the same directory as the course materials.
  3. When running the %run command, ensure that you’re executing it from the same directory where the course materials (including the setup file) are located.
  4. Since you’re using Windows 11, consider any potential differences in file paths due to the operating system. Make sure the path is compatible with Windows.

Please let me know, and we’ll continue troubleshooting!

Hi Kaniz.

Thank you for your prompt reply!

There's no problem with the paths or the directory. I tried to run the script directly from 'Classroom-setup', this is what I get:

andremahfouz_0-1720875493840.png

The data mounts properly presumably but I get the error when trying to create the table that I assume is related to the Dataset-Mounts script.

What I think is happening is that the accessKey and SecretKey used to mount the data has expired or is outdated:

andremahfouz_1-1720876129101.png

I re-downloaded the lessons.dbc file from Coursera to see if anything has changed but they're the same.

Adding this for further clarification, found when I expand the error:

andremahfouz_2-1720876465778.png

Hi @andremahfouzThanks for sharing the screenshot! It looks like the error message indicates an issue with access permissions, specifically related to the access keys used for mounting the data.

1. Ensure that the access keys (accessKey and secretKey) are still valid. If they have expired, you will need to obtain new keys. This might involve reaching out to the course administrators or checking any course resources for updated credentials.
  2. If you get new keys, update them in the Dataset-Mounts script. Ensure that the keys are correctly formatted and placed in the script.
  3. Sometimes, course materials get updated. Make sure you have the latest version of all scripts, including Classroom-Setup and Dataset-Mounts.
  4. If you suspect the issue is with the automated setup, try running the mounting commands manually in a new cell to see if you can isolate the problem.

If you can share the specific error message you’re seeing when trying to create the table, that might help narrow down the issue further. Let me know if you need any more help! 😊

Hello Kaniz,

Thank you for your help! It seems multiple people are facing this issue, we've posted on the course forum over on Coursera and waiting for an update.

ian_g
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue (same error message) as well with this coursera course. I've double checked the file pathing and everything looks correct. I am also using windows 11. I have not found any related resources online. Please advise.

andremahfouz
New Contributor III

Hey Ian, still nothing on my end. I've paid for Coursera Plus and I'm stalled here. If you come by a solution I'd appreciate if you let me know.

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ian_gIt sounds like you’re encountering a common issue with access keys expiring or being outdated.

Please reach out to the course administrators or check any course resources for updated access keys. These keys are often time-sensitive and may need to be refreshed periodically.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!