cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Training offerings
Explore discussions on Databricks training programs and offerings within the Community. Get insights, recommendations, and support from peers to maximize your learning experience and advance your skills in data analytics and machine learning.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in Data Engineering 2.2 notebook when executing SQL statement

leandrob13
New Contributor

This notebook is plagued with errors. After solving the one described here I ran into another one when trying to execute the SQL statement in the "Extracting Data from SQL Databases" section:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS users_jdbc;

CREATE TABLE users_jdbc
USING JDBC
OPTIONS (
  url = "jdbc:sqlite:${DA.paths.ecommerce_db}",
  dbtable = "users"
)

I get this error:

Error in SQL statement: SQLException: path to '/dbfs/mnt/dbacademy-users/{my-user}/data-engineer-learning-path/ecommerce.db': '/dbfs/mnt' does not exist

After commenting the portion of the code shown below:

# Move the temp db to the final location
dbutils.fs.mv(f"file:{db_temp_path}", DA.paths.ecommerce_db)
DA.paths.ecommerce_db = DA.paths.ecommerce_db #.replace("dbfs:/", "/dbfs/")

I get this error: 

Error in SQL statement: SQLException: path to 'dbfs:/mnt/dbacademy-users/{my-user}/data-engineer-learning-path/ecommerce.db': '/databricks/driver/dbfs:' does not exist

I have no idea how to debug this one. If anyone knows how to solve this, I will really appreciate it. 

Databricks should update this notebooks...

3 REPLIES 3

jonathanchcc
New Contributor III

I have the same issue any tip to resolve the issue?

jonathanchcc
New Contributor III

Hello @leandrob13  I have found a post that helped me with this link 

It seems that the Databricks community edition has some limitations

"The community edition doesn't support DBFS fuse, so you can't use /dbfs file path. To access your sqlite database you need to copy file to the local disk using dbutils and then access it from there using the local file path:"

This is my code

/dfs dbutils.fs.cp("dbfs:/mnt/dbacademy-users/my-user/data-engineer-learning-path/ecommerce.db", "file:/tmp/ecommerce.db")

And then modify the load of data 

CREATE TABLE users_jdbc
USING JDBC
OPTIONS (
  url = "jdbc:sqlite:/tmp/ecommerce.db",
  dbtable = "users"
)

Dibs
New Contributor II

I had to change to 

%python
dbutils.fs.cp("dbfs:/mnt/dbacademy-users/YOURUSERID/data-engineering-with-databricks/ecommerce.db", "file:/tmp/ecommerce.db")

CREATE TABLE users_jdbc
USING JDBC
OPTIONS (
url = "jdbc:sqlite:/tmp/ecommerce.db",
dbtable = "users"
)

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group