cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL PRIVILEGES not working in Terraform databricks_grants configuration

Andrei_Radulesc
Contributor III

I'm trying to create a UC catalog in Terraform on AWS, and grant "account users" ALL PRIVILEGES. Here is my code:

resource "databricks_catalog" "test" {

provider    = databricks.workspace

metastore_id = var.metastore_id

name        = "test"

owner       = "account users"

comment     = "Managed by Terraform"

properties = {

purpose = "testing"

}

When applying the config the 1st time, everything is fine. I can verify in the UI that the config was set. However, when applying the config a 2nd time, I get the error below:

Error: ALL PRIVILEGES is not allowed on catalog

Runnint terraform with TF_LOG=DEBUG gives me more detail about the error:

022-11-14T11:10:46.638-0500 [WARN] Provider "registry.terraform.io/databricks/databricks" produced an unexpected new value for module.unity_ca

talog.databricks_grants.test during refresh.

- .grant: planned set element cty.ObjectVal(map[string]cty.Value{"principal":cty.StringVal("account users"), "privileges":cty.SetVal([]cty

.Value{cty.StringVal("ALL PRIVILEGES")})}) does not correlate with any element in actual

2022-11-14T11:10:46.646-0500 [ERROR] provider.terraform-provider-databricks_v1.2.0: Response contains error diagnostic: tf_resource_type=databri

cks_grants @caller=/home/runner/work/terraform-provider-databricks/terraform-provider-databricks/vendor/github.com/hashicorp/terraform-plugin-go

/tfprotov5/internal/diag/diagnostics.go:56 @module=sdk.proto diagnostic_detail= diagnostic_severity=ERROR tf_provider_addr=provider tf_req_id=32

a078b5-8e24-7103-bc75-20127e8a24fa tf_rpc=PlanResourceChange diagnostic_summary="ALL PRIVILEGES is not allowed on catalog" tf_proto_version=5.3

timestamp=2022-11-14T11:10:46.646-0500

}

resource "databricks_grants" "test" {

provider = databricks.workspace

catalog = databricks_catalog.test.name

grant {

principal = "account users"

privileges = ["ALL PRIVILEGES"]

}

}

Any suggestion on how to set UC catalog permissions in Terraform?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pat
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Andrei Radulescu-Banu​ ,

I believe you should use ALL_PRIVILEGES:

catalog = databricks_catalog.test.name

grant {

principal = "account users"

privileges = ["ALL_PRIVILEGES"]

}

}

if not, please try 'ALL'.

I did this in the past, but I've removed catalog creation from TF before pushing the code, so no history in repo.

docs: https://registry.terraform.io/providers/databricks/databricks/latest/docs/resources/grants#catalog-g...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Pat
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Andrei Radulescu-Banu​ ,

I believe you should use ALL_PRIVILEGES:

catalog = databricks_catalog.test.name

grant {

principal = "account users"

privileges = ["ALL_PRIVILEGES"]

}

}

if not, please try 'ALL'.

I did this in the past, but I've removed catalog creation from TF before pushing the code, so no history in repo.

docs: https://registry.terraform.io/providers/databricks/databricks/latest/docs/resources/grants#catalog-g...

Andrei_Radulesc
Contributor III

Yes! I was missing the underbar, "ALL_PRIVILEGES". It works now. Thank you!

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Andrei Radulescu-Banu​  (Customer)​ ​, It would mean a lot if you could select the "Best Answer" to help others find the correct answer faster.

This makes that answer appear right after the question, so it's easier to find within a thread.

It also helps us mark the question as answered so we can have more eyes helping others with unanswered questions.

Can I count on you?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group