Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I merge delta lake table to RDBMS table directly? Which is the preferred way in Databricks?

Krish-685291
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am dealing with updating master data. I'll do the UPCERT operations on the delta lake table. But after my UPCERT is complete I like to update the master data on the RDBMS table also. Is there any support from Databricks to perform this operation affectively in highly performant way. There are pyspark sql ways as shown below, but I don't see the merge option.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

Krishna

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can upsert data from a source table, view, or DataFrame into a target Delta table by using the MERGE SQL operation. Delta Lake supports inserts, updates, and deletes in MERGE, and it supports extended syntax beyond the SQL standards to facilitate advanced use cases.

You must have a look at this article.

Krish-685291
New Contributor III

Hi,

My problem is that my target delta table is an RDBMS tables. MERGE SQL works on the tables which are in Databricks. Is it possible to mention in the MERGET SQL, that my target table is an RDBMS table? I didn't see that kind of syntax. Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Thanks

Krishna

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.