Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Databricks SQL support Azure SQL DB?

mehdi1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I could create spark tables based on SQL server (Azure SQL actually), and query the tables from a notebook.

On another hand, I can see the tables listed in the hive metastore in Databricks SQL. However when I try to query the tables there, it says only CSV, json, parquet, etc. (meaning file based) tables are supported.

Is there anyway to overcome that ? It looks pretty inconsistent to me that we can query the tables in Data Science and Engineering mode but not in SQL mode.

11 REPLIES 11

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mehdi Aziz Boumedine​ , For Databricks SQL, see SQL reference for Databricks SQL.

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Mehdi Aziz Boumedine​ 

When you query Hive tables on Databricks SQL, you get an error "Reading Hive table <table-name> is not supported on Databricks SQL. Only csv, json, avro, delta, parquet, orc, text, unity_catalog data sources are supported". This is because Hive based tables are not supported on Databricks SQL

The solution is to add few records/overwrite records either in parquet/orc or any desired format. Adding rows in parquet for instance will change the relation from "HiveTableRelation" to Parquet relation, which makes the table queryable in Databricks SQL

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Mehdi Aziz Boumedine​ 

Hope you are well. Just wanted to see if you were able to find an answer to your question and would you like to mark an answer as best? It would be really helpful for the other members too.

Cheers!

saltuk
Contributor

@Kaniz Fatma​ @Prabakar Ammeappin​ 

I do not know if you aware of what @bhumi shamra​  published above?

this comments are irrelevant ..

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @saltuk bozok​, Thanks for flagging!

@Kaniz Fatma​ 

no problem at all, but user has done that in a multiple tickets.

please see:

https://community.databricks.com/s/question/0D58Y00008mqagOSAQ/how-do-i-install-a-non-pythonrmavenja...

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for flagging this to us. It will be taken care of. So grateful to have customers like you 😊 .

No problem at all. 🙂

@Kaniz Fatma​ 

May I request, could you please guide me on my ticket? maybe you can help me out here , recently i have been working on it but i am stuck:

https://community.databricks.com/s/question/0D58Y00008qXvbNSAS/databricks-sql-cannot-communicate-wit...

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sure, Let me check.

Hi @saltuk bozok​,

Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help or you were able to find a solution? please let us know

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.