cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Serverless as DBT-CLI compute?

dbph
New Contributor II

Hi,

we'd like to use serverless as the compute for DBT-CLI (of course we already used Serverless SQL before) in a DBT workflow.

I configured a normal DBT-task and tried to run a dbt-run command, which i previously tested sucessfully on my local machine.

However, when executing the same dbt-run command while using serverless as DBT CLI I get the following error message:

Encountered an error:
Runtime Error
  Database Error
    HTTPSConnectionPool(host='my_host', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: my_warehouse_url (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(5, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:1007)')))

The Databricks serverless documentation mentions such errors:

"Python clients that use Databricks endpoints may encounter SSL verification errors such as “CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED”. To work around these errors, configure the client to trust the CA file located in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt. For example, run the following command at the beginning of a serverless notebook or job: import os; os.environ['SSL_CERT_FILE'] = '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'"

I tried exactly this and added a task in the same job before the DBT-task and executed the python part mentioned above, but this didn't solve the problem.

Did anyone manage to use Serverless as DBT-CLI?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dbph,

• You can disable SSL certificate verification in Databricks CLI by specifying insecure = True in your Databricks configuration file (databrickscfg). This might help bypass the SSL error1.
    • The Databricks serverless documentation suggests configuring the client to trust the CA file located in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt.

To achieve this, you can run the following command at the beginning of your serverless notebook or job:

import os
os.environ['SSL_CERT_FILE'] = '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'

dbph
New Contributor II

Hi, 

thanks for your help!

Unfortunately our problem is not the Databricks-CLI we're using on local machines. The problem is the DBT-CLI which we are trying to run on serverless compute inside a Databricks-Workflow.

I already tried adding the code you posted as a task before the DBT-task. That didn't help. I currently see no way of making the python code run directly in the DBT-task.

Any other ideas? 🙂

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group