cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested subquery is not supported in the DELETE condition

diego_poggioli
Contributor

According to the documentation the WHERE predicate in a DELETE statement should supports subqueries, including INNOT INEXISTSNOT EXISTS, and scalar subqueries.

if I try to run a query like:

DELETE FROM dev.gold.table AS trg
WHERE EXISTS (
    select distinct year_month, version
    from source
    where trg.year_month = year_month
    and trg.version = version
)

I get the error: 

[DELTA_NESTED_SUBQUERY_NOT_SUPPORTED] Nested subquery is not supported in the DELETE condition.

Same error if I use IN after grouping the year_month and version into a single column:

WHERE year_month_version IN (select * FROM v_distinct_year_month_version)

Any solution, other than a merge delete, to solve the problem?

I'm running a SQL notebook with serverless warehouse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@diego_poggioli 
This could be it. Try materializing the view first and see if it fixes the issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

@diego_poggioli 
What is the "source" in your WHERE statement? Is it a table or a view/temp view? 

@daniel_sahal currently is a temp view

@diego_poggioli 
This could be it. Try materializing the view first and see if it fixes the issue.

Yes, correct! using a table instead of a view fixed the error

Thanks

Tejas2022
New Contributor II

@diego_poggioli 

Can you try selecting a 'year_month_version' column from the view instead of select *

WHERE year_month_version IN (select year_month_version FROM v_distinct_year_month_version)

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group