Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I restore auto-close quote & auto-close parentheses functionality?

mcharl02
New Contributor III

Over the last two days, my team's databricks notebooks (using Python interpreter) have stopped automatically adding a close single quote (') with a cursor between the two. Same issue with automatically adding close parentheses.

The cluster has been restarted and this issue persists.

Is there some setting we might have inadvertently changed? This is quite frustrating, as this functionality makes writing code a lot smoother.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

Dan_Z
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Malcolm Charles​ you can restore this functionality with this check-box:

notebook_smart_quoteI think we will be restoring the default behavior soon, since we have some customer complaints. Will edit this message when I find out more.

mcharl02
New Contributor III

Hi Dan - this is one of the first things I tried. I do have it enabled - and the issue still persists.

mcharl02
New Contributor III

this issue has since resolved spontaneously for some of my team members, but not all of us (myself included) - anything I should be doing with browser cache?

Hi @Malcolm Charles​ ,

Could you try to clear your web browser cache? or use another web browser? try to use incognito mode if you are using chrome.

mcharl02
New Contributor III

Thank you - clearing the cache seemed to resolve this issue at least for now

Sajesh
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi @Malcolm Charles​ , Our engineering team has identified this as a bug and it'll be fixed in the next platform release. Meanwhile, can you keep the setting `Turn on smart quote and bracket matching` unchecked and see if that helps.

Sajesh
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

The fix for this issue will be most likely released to all regions/workspaces by 18th Nov 21

Kraftfaust
New Contributor II

It's the 23rd and still no patch...updates? Thanks!

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Tim Gottgetreu​ could you please let me know the region where your workspace is deployed?​

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.