Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we using the advantage of "Map & Reduce" ?

wyzer
Contributor II

Hello,

We are new on Databricks and we would like to know if our working method are good.

Currently, we are working like this :

spark.sql("CREATE TABLE Temp (SELECT avg(***), sum(***) FROM aaa LEFT JOIN bbb WHERE *** >= ***)")

With this method, are we using the full capacity of Databricks, like "Map & Reduce" ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Spark will handle the map/reduce for you.

So as long as you use Spark provided functions, be it in scala, python or sql (or even R) you will be using distributed processing.

You just care about what you want as a result.

And afterwards when you are more familiar with Spark you can start tuning (f.e. trying to avoid shuffles, other join types etc)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Salah K.​ ! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Spark will handle the map/reduce for you.

So as long as you use Spark provided functions, be it in scala, python or sql (or even R) you will be using distributed processing.

You just care about what you want as a result.

And afterwards when you are more familiar with Spark you can start tuning (f.e. trying to avoid shuffles, other join types etc)

Thank you.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.