Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Machine Learning
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mount s3 bucket in community edition cluster?

findinpath
Contributor

I'm using Databricks Community Edition for testing purposes on a OSS project.

I'm spinning up the cluster automatically through Databricks Clusters API.

The automated tests rely on AWS S3 infrastructure, reason why I need to mount the S3 bucket on the cluster.

Is there a way to script this operation?

I have found already several references using `dbutils` for doing the mount of the AWS S3 bucket.

However, I'd like to do the mount from outside of a Databricks notebook.

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way to mount a bucket outside of a notebook. The good thing is you only need to mount a bucket once in a workspace.

Hemant
Valued Contributor II

You cannot mount s3​ in community version of Databricks.

Hemant Soni

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marius Grama​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help or do the above responses help you find the solution? Please let us know.

findinpath
Contributor

@Hemant Kumar​  I found out that mounting an S3 bucket is possible if using the Web UI within a Notebook.

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-i-connect-an-s3-bucket-to-a-databricks-notebook-to-do-analytics-a...

@Kaniz Fatma​  yes, I would still need help on this one.

Would it be a viable solution to use a global init script from dbfs for the cluster created via Databricks Clusters API ?

https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/init-scripts.html#cluster-scoped-init-script-locations

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you still need the ability to mount from outside a notebook, please contact your CSE to file a feature request.

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Marius Grama​ , To mount the S3 bucket please follow the below document. You can mount it only from the notebook and not from the outside.

Please refer to the Databricks official document: mount-an-s3-bucket

to be more clear, in Databricks you can mount S3 using the command "dbutils.fs.mount("s3a://%s" % aws_bucket_name, "/mnt/%s" % mount_name)"

dbutils are not supported outside of notebooks.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marius Grama​  , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or did you find the solution? Please let us know.

findinpath
Contributor

I haven't found any solution.

I'm assuming that currently my only option is the usage of Databricks Enterprise to model scenarios involving the mounting of object storage buckets.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marius Grama​ , As @Joseph Kambourakis​  replied above, If you still need the ability to mount from outside a notebook, please get in touch with your CSE to file a feature request.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.