Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to run notebooks concurrently in same session?

darshan
New Contributor III

tried using-

dbutils.notebook.run(notebook.path, notebook.timeout, notebook.parameters)

but it takes 20 seconds to start new session. %run uses same session but cannot figure out how to use it to run notebooks concurrently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

dbutils.notebook.run starts a new job, that's why it takes this time and test yo can start multiple concurrently using ThreadPool or other async libraries. Probably with the better server, it could be 10 seconds, not 20.

%RUN executes other notebooks like it would be code of notebook which we run (like include in some languages).

Maybe you could plan a different architecture way (but it depends on the use case) as this way is instead for no-time critical projects (analytics). Stream and delta live tables should be used instead if it is a project when that 20s delay is too much.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

dbutils.notebook.run starts a new job, that's why it takes this time and test yo can start multiple concurrently using ThreadPool or other async libraries. Probably with the better server, it could be 10 seconds, not 20.

%RUN executes other notebooks like it would be code of notebook which we run (like include in some languages).

Maybe you could plan a different architecture way (but it depends on the use case) as this way is instead for no-time critical projects (analytics). Stream and delta live tables should be used instead if it is a project when that 20s delay is too much.

craig_lukasik
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Another approach is to use the Jobs API and leverage a notebook_task with an existing cluster (existing_cluster_id).

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

You can use jobs workflow. It helps you to run the notebooks in parallel as well as sequential.

darshan
New Contributor III

Is there a way to send data from one notebook to other using workflow?

bb_huey99
New Contributor II

This is a great question. I’ve been struggling with opening multiple browser sessions to open more than one notebook at a time.

sbo
New Contributor III

dbutils.notebook.run will run multiple notebooks in the same session!

darshan
New Contributor III

But it creates new jobs which makes process slow by 20 seconds

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @darshan doshi​, We haven’t heard from you on the last responses, and I was checking back to see if those suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others.

darshan
New Contributor III

Hello, yes responses were helpful, so I tried workflow but stuck with sending data across notebooks using workflow.

Also, trying delta live tables. What I would like to know is is there threshold about how many records delta live tables can hold at a time?

darshan
New Contributor III

Hello, one thing I am not able to understand is, while developing low latency application where even 5 seconds cannot be tolerated, how to create jobs? Because each job takes 20 seconds to init.

zulazuardi
New Contributor II

You can use python concurrent run and execute the dbutils.notebooks.run​

gfree76
New Contributor III

There is a databricks sample notebook that shows how to use scala futures to run notebooks in parallel. We use this extensively, so I can promise it works 🙂 Look for the section Run Notebooks Concurrently https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/notebook-workflows.html

darshan
New Contributor III

This does help, but can you help me understand why job run time takes more time than actual run time of notebook? And is there a way to reduce the time?

rudesingh56
New Contributor II

I’ve been struggling with opening multiple browser sessions to open more than one notebook at a time.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.