Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data ingest of csv files from S3 using Autoloader is slow

data_boy_2022
New Contributor III

I have 150k small csv files (~50Mb) stored in S3 which I want to load into a delta table.

All CSV files are stored in the following structure in S3:

bucket/folder/name_00000000_00000100.csv

bucket/folder/name_00000100_00000200.csv

This is the code I use to start the auto loader:

## mount external s3 bucket
dbutils.fs.mount(f"s3a://{access_key}:{encoded_secret_key}@{aws_bucket_name}", f"/mnt/{mount_name}")

## autoloader function
def autoload_csv (data_source, table_name, checkpoint_path, schema):
        query = (spark.readStream
        .format("cloudFiles")
        .option("cloudFiles.format", "csv")
        .option("header","true")
        .option("delimiter", ";")
        .option("rescuedDataColumn", "_rescue")
        .schema(schema)
        .load(data_source)
        .withColumn("timestamp",col("timestamp").cast(TimestampType()))
        .writeStream.format("delta")
        .trigger(once=True)
        .option("mergeSchema", "true")
        .option("checkpointLocation", checkpoint_path)
        .toTable(tableName=table_name)
      )
        return query 

## Define schema
schema = StructType([
    StructField("timestamp", LongType(), True),  
    StructField(“aaa”, LongType(), True),        
    StructField(“bbb”, LongType(), True),
    StructField(“ccc”, LongType(), True),
    StructField(“eee”, LongType(), True),
    StructField(“fff”, LongType(), True),
    StructField(“ggg”, StringType(), True),
])

## start script (schema is 
input_data_path = ‘/input_data
table_name = ‘default.input_data’
chkpt_path = '/tmp/input_data/_checkpoints'
query = autoload_csv(data_source=input_data_path, table_name=table_name,checkpoint_path=chkpt_path, schema=schema)

It takes two hours on eight 4 core/32GB RAW workers to import all files right now. There must be something wrong.

I have attached the following images:

• Cluster overview
  • Cluster metrics (Ganglia)
  • SparkUI (DAG, Event Timeline, Job)

How can I speed up the data import?

How can I debug the issue further by myself?

ClusterMetrics 

SparkUI_DAGSparkUI_JobSparkUI_EventTimeline 

EDIT:

I just tried the same import pipeline with the same number but smaller files (<1Mb). I noticed that it runs more smoothly when I delete trigger(once=True). Unfortunately this doesn't help with bigger files. With bigger files the auto loader takes for ever to initialise the stream.

8 REPLIES 8

AmanSehgal
Honored Contributor III

50mb in total or each of your 150,000 files is of size 50mb which is approx 7.15 TB?

data_boy_2022
New Contributor III

Some files are a bit smaller some are a bit bigger. All files combined are probably between 4.5TB and 7 TB.

The import is also slow for much smaller files. I tried the same setup for 100k small files (<1MB) and it also takes a while (see edit).

You are using .trigger(once=True) so it will try to process all the data in a single micro-batch. I will recommend to use availableNow trigger to process your data in multiple micro-batches. Then you can check streaming metrics to check how many records per batch are you processing and how long is taking

Good pointer thank you! Is the feature also available in Python? Looking at the docs it looks like it's only available in Scala.

AmanSehgal
Honored Contributor III

You should be using a cluster with a heavy drive node with 2-4 worker nodes. As this is just inserts and no joins are being performed.

Use like an i3.4xl driver and i3.xl worker type.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jan R​ , We haven't heard from you on the last response from @Aman Sehgal​ , and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

data_boy_2022
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have ran more experiments regarding the data throughput. Will share my results soon.

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hi @Jan R​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.