Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Delta Lake completely host a data warehouse and replace Redshift?

Sweta
New Contributor II

Our use case is simple - to store our PB scale data and transform and use for BI, reporting and analytics. As my title says am trying to eliminate expenditure on Redshift as we are starting as a green field.

I know I have designed/used just Delta lake as an analytics data warehouse though we still used Redshift as a legacy warehouse by other teams in my previous org. But just trying to get some consensus here to gain more confidence.

Thanks,

Swetha

10 REPLIES 10

PriyaAnanthram
Contributor III

Yeah I believe so delta lake is just getting better and better I think its a great way forward to support usecases similar to yours

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I think it can. If we were a few years earlier I would say: no. But now with databricks sql (or other software like Trino etc) and delta lake, I don't see why it would not work.

As we speak I am looking into getting rid of your Azure Synapse database, and I think we can pull that of without issues.

The main attention point however is to not forget to look at what tools are being used to consume data.

Because from a technical point of view, this is quickly overlooked. f.e. if your company uses some paginated reporting software, you better make sure that will still work.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Swetha Marakani​​, We haven’t heard from you since the last responses from @Werner Stinckens​ and @Priya Ananthram​, and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.

If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes yes yes 🙂

Hi @Hubert Dudek​, Interesting response!

Would you like to write more about 'Yes’?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes that data lake/lakehouse is excellent for replacing Redshift but I would not write more details as it is a long topic.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cool, Thank you for your response @Hubert Dudek​! Our community is filled with your great answers. Thank you for being an integral part of it, though!

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

That one wasn't so great, hehe Thank you!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

👧

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Swetha Marakani​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.