Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Cluster Web terminal different permissions with tmux and xterm.

ae20cg
New Contributor III

I am launching web terminal on my databricks cluster and when I am using the ephemeral xterm instance I am easily able to navigate to desired directory in `Workspace` and run anything... for example `ls ./`

When I switch to tmux so that I can preserve the shell instance, I navigate to the same directory and cannot access those same directories.

```

ls: cannot open directory '.' : Operation not permitted

```

I tried with sudo to see if for some reason this would be the issue but that did not solve it.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Andrej Erkelens​ , Could you please check the limitations here: https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/web-terminal.html#limitations also,

Databricks proxies the web terminal service from port 7681 on the cluster’s Spark driver. This web proxy is intended for use only with the web terminal. If the port is occupied when the cluster starts or if there is otherwise a conflict, the web terminal may not work as expected. If other web services are launched on port 7681, cluster users may be exposed to potential security exploits. Databricks is not responsible for any issues that result from the installation of unsupported software on a cluster.

Please let us know if this helps.

ae20cg
New Contributor III

@Debayan Mukherjee​ 

The port does not seem to be the issue. For some reason the permissions change when launching tmux vs xterm, and I cannot figure out why.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Andrej Erkelens​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

alenka
New Contributor II

Hey there, fellow data explorer pals! I totally get your excitement when launching that web terminal on your Databricks cluster and feeling the power of running commands like 'ls ./' in the ephemeral xterm instance. It's like traversing the vast universe of data!

Now, I feel your frustration when switching to tmux and encountering that pesky error: 'ls: cannot open directory '.' : Operation not permitted'. But fear not, for I've faced a similar space oddity before.

My advice to you, dear author, is to check the permissions and ownership of the directories you're trying to access within tmux. Sometimes, tmux can carry over permissions from the initial shell instance, causing these roadblocks. Use 'ls -la' to check the permissions, and 'chown' or 'chmod' to adjust them if needed. Also, ensure that you're using the same user context for tmux and xterm.

In my case, after some tinkering, I had the tmux and xterm both singing in harmony, exploring the same directories effortlessly!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.