Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to include visualizations returned from %run in the caller notebooks dashboard?

ncouture
Contributor

I have a notebook (nb1) that calls another one (nb2) via the %run command. This returns some visualizations that I want to add to a dashboard of the caller notebook (nb1-db). When I select the visualization drop down, then select Add to dashboard, the dashboard is greyed out and raises the error "You must have edit permission on this notebook in order to add or remove results from a dashboard".

I have no idea what permission it is referring to as I have can manage on both. Is this even possible? If so, what am I missing and how do I go about solving it?

Thanks

edit: use AWS

6 REPLIES 6

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Nicholas Couture​ , Could you please check and refer to https://docs.databricks.com/sql/user/security/access-control/dashboard-acl.html . Please let us know if this helps.

No it does not help. This is not a SQL dashboard. It is a notebook dashboard. Entirely different. Not to mention I already said I have the can manage permission for everything. Can't add anything higher than that

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nicholas Couture​, Please check the prerequisites here.

• If you haven't been added as a team member, get added now.
  • All members of the Project Valid Users group can view dashboards.
  • To add, edit, or manage a team dashboard, you must have Basic access or greater and be a team admin, a project admin, or have dashboard permissions. In general, you need to be a team member for the currently selected team to edit dashboards.
  • To add, edit, or manage project dashboards, you must have Basic access or greater, a project admin, or have dashboard permissions. In general, you need to be a team member for the currently selected team to edit dashboards.

Mate I think you're missing the entire premise of my question. If a notebook calls another notebook via %run, visualisations generated by the called notebook cannot be added to the caller notebooks dashboard

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nicholas Couture​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Debayan Mukherjee​ , and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.

If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

No resolution

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.