Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I give users permissions to see the objects metadata without access to data

merca
Valued Contributor II

Only permissions I can see are select and this gives access to data and that is very unwanted. I only want users to see the metadata, like table/view/column names and descriptions/comments and location and such but not to see any data.

7 REPLIES 7

Geeta1
Valued Contributor

Hi @Merca Ovnerud​ , you have 'READ_METADATA' privilege that you can set for a data object.

Example code in SQL: GRANT READ_METADATA ON SCHEMA schema_name TO user/user_group;

Reference link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/security/access-control/table-acls/object-privile...

Hope it helps!

merca
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately I get error on this grant:

`Value 'READ_METADATA' is not a valid permission`

UmaMahesh1
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Merca Ovnerud​ 

You can try in the same method @Geeta Sai Boddu​ suggested.

Before trying make sure that your cluster has table access control enabled. Only if your cluster is a shared access cluster, it will be enabled by default.

Also someone with admin privileges must enable table access control to your workspace.

Do check out these prerequisites before running that SQL code.

SS2
Valued Contributor

You can refer this as well.

GRANT USAGE ON SCHEMA database TO user

GRANT READ_METADATA ON SCHEMA database TO user

merca
Valued Contributor II

@Uma Maheswara Rao Desula​ , @Geeta Sai Boddu​  and @S S​ ,

Thank you for the responses. I have gotten answer from Databricks and it seems this is not possible and this is something that is investigated as a capability.

RonMoody
New Contributor II

Can someone confirm that when using Unity Catalog we cannot restrict a user only for metadata access ?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.