cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to Databricks from Workato. JDBCDriver 500593 Communication Link failure

RossMacrae777
New Contributor

I'm trying to connect to Databricks from Workato, to pull data in as part of a Workato Recipe.  I'm getting the following error when I test the connection:

"Database bridge error: Failed since could not connect to the database - Failed to initialize pool: [Databricks][JDBCDriver](500593) Communication link failure. Failed to connect to server. Reason: HTTP Response code: 403, Error message: Unknown."

As an independent connection test, I tried connecting to the same Databricks workspace from PowerBI, with all of the same credentials, and was able to connect and retrieve data successfully.

Has anyone successfully connected to Databricks from Workato before, and if so, did you need to do any additional config to get it working?  Is it possible there's a restriction applied to an iPaaS platform such as Workato that would need to be lifted?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

RossMacrae777
New Contributor

This turned out to be location-related.  It looks as though the location of the Workato instance, along with the particular way that our application is integrated with Workato, combine to cause the connection to fail.  When I switch to a US host, from my Australia host, it connects successfully.  Still getting to the bottom of it, but happy to report that there's no on-going issue, Workato and Databricks can connect just fine.  

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group