Administration & Architecture
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Different settings per target with Asset bundles

Mathias
New Contributor II

When generating the standard setup with databricks bundle init we will get databricks.yml that references resources/*. The targets are set in the databricks.yml and the resources (pipelines and jobs) are set in different files.

I have dlt pipelines that I want to run continuously in the production workspace but, to save cost, want to run triggered in the dev workspace. My pipelines in Azure Devops deploy the code first to dev and then to prod using the databricks bundle deploy -t xxx.

Is there a best practice for how to implement the differences?

I tried adding an if statement but it doesn't seem to be working

${{ if eq(${bundle.environment}, 'dev') }}:
        continuous: false
      ${{ elseif eq(${bundle.environment}, 'prod' ) }}:
        continuous: true

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mathias , 

To configure the continuous flag for your Delta Live Tables pipelines differently for dev and prod workspaces, it's best to use separate YAML files for each environment. Here's the approach:

1. Create Separate Pipeline YAML Files: Generate distinct YAML files (e.g., dlt_pipeline_dev.yml and dlt_pipeline_prod.yml) for your Delta Live Tables pipelines in each environment. Set the continuous flag accordingly in these files.

dlt_pipeline_dev.yml:

apiVersion: 1.3
    name: my_dlt_pipeline_dev
    pipelines:
      - name: my_pipeline_dev
        continuous: false
        source_path: /mnt/dev/source/path/
        destination_path: /mnt/dev/destination/path/
        schema_metaline: "col1 int, col2 string"

dlt_pipeline_prod.yml:
    apiVersion: 1.3
    name: my_dlt_pipeline_prod
    pipelines:
      - name: my_pipeline_prod
        continuous: true
        source_path: /mnt/prod/source/path/
        destination_path: /mnt/prod/destination/path/
        schema_metaline: "col1 int, col2 string"

2. Deploy the Appropriate Pipeline File: When deploying your Delta Live Tables pipelines to each environment, select the relevant pipeline file using the -f option. For example:

For Dev:

databricks bundle deploy -t dev -f dlt_pipeline_dev.yml

For Prod:

databricks bundle deploy -t prod -f dlt_pipeline_prod.yml
  2. By using separate YAML files for each environment, you can ensure that the continuous flag is correctly set for each pipeline, tailored to the specific requirements of that environment.

pietern
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@Kaniz The YAML snippets you included aren't valid bundle configurations. The `-f` flag also doesn't exist.

DABs are always deployed in their entirety, not selectively.

The configuration syntax reference can be found here: https://docs.databricks.com/en/dev-tools/bundles/settings.html

Mathias
New Contributor II

In our case we are using build pipelines in Azure Devops do deploy the solution, which consist or multiple different jobs and dlt pipelines. We are using Databricks bundles as created by databricks bundle init, which creates one databricks.yml and a Resources -folder, where the individual pipeline specifications reside.

To give context, our build pipeline looks like this:

stage: Release_To_Dev
  variables:
    - group: databricks-dev-env
  jobs:
  - template: deploy-steps.yml
    parameters:
      environment: dev

- stage: Release_To_Production
  dependsOn: Release_To_Dev
  variables:
    - group: databricks-prod-env
  condition: and(succeeded('Release_To_Dev'), eq(variables['Build.SourceBranch'], 'refs/heads/main'))
  jobs:
  - template: deploy-steps.yml
    parameters:
      environment: prod

The deploy-steps.yml looks like this:

parameters:
- name: Environment

jobs:
- job: BuildAndRun
    - script: |
      displayName: 'Install Databricks CLI'

- script: |
        /usr/local/bin/databricks bundle deploy --target ${{ parameters.environment }}
      env:
        DATABRICKS_HOST: $(databricks_host)
        ARM_TENANT_ID: $(arm_tenant_id)
        ARM_CLIENT_ID: $(arm_client_id)
        ARM_CLIENT_SECRET: $(arm_client_secret)
      displayName: 'Deploy the pipeline, jobs and code files defined in the bundle'

Any recommendations on how to specify different settings per environment in this case?

pietern
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

It is possible to use target overrides to customize resources based on the target you're deploying to.

Documentation can be found here: https://docs.databricks.com/en/dev-tools/bundles/settings.html#targets

An example of this pattern can be found here: https://github.com/databricks/cli/blob/main/bundle/tests/override_pipeline_cluster/databricks.yml

Instead of the `clusters` or `name` field, you would include the `continuous` field.

New Contributor II

-f is unknown shorthand flag for databricks bundle deploy. Any workaround on how to deploy different jobs with different targets?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.