cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External locations being shared across workspaces

Debi-Moha
New Contributor II

Currently, we have 3 Unity Catalog enabled workspaces sharing the same metastore. Now, when we create an external location or storage credential in any of the workspaces, it gets reflected across all workspaces. We are looking for some best practices around setting up external locations, such that in case we have a replicating setup like this, it would not have any security concerns. I can elaborate on this further if required, and I would appreciate any inputs on this setup or our approach around this.

1 REPLY 1

AlliaKhosla
Databricks Employee
Databricks Employee

Hi @Debi-Moha  Currently we do not have a mechanism to isolate the external locations and storage credentials based on workspaces, since the metastore is shared across the workspaces.

Please check below document for recommendations on securing external locations:

https://docs.databricks.com/en/data-governance/unity-catalog/best-practices.html#recommendations-for...

We do have a Feature request for this and this feature is considered for future.

Ideas Portal Idea:DB-I-7138

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group