Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE.LOCATION_OVERLAP: overlaps with managed storage error with S3 paths

shawnbarrick
New Contributor III

We're trying to read from an S3 bucket using unity catalog and are selectively getting "INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE.LOCATION_OVERLAP: overlaps with managed storage error"  errors within the same bucket.  

This works:

"dbutils.fs.ls("s3://BUCKETNAME/dev/health")"

But within the same bucket we get the location overlap error when running: "dbutils.fs.ls("s3://BUCKETNAME/dev/claims/")"

I reviewed the article https://kb.databricks.com/en_US/unity-catalog/invalid_parameter_valuelocation_overlap-overlaps-with-... but it's unclear to me why one path works.  Is there something I should check other than IAM permissions for the bucket in question?

2 REPLIES 2

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,
Could you please elaborate on the issue here? 
Running the list command on a managed directory is not supported in Unity Catalog. Catalog/schema storage locations are reserved for managed storage.
Please tag @Debayan  with your next comment which will notify me. Thanks!

shawnbarrick
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response. We are trying to to verify S3 buckets access, as well as helping a user troubleshooting a permissions issues.  

I run this command I get a list of the bucket contents for that folder: "dbutils.fs.ls("s3://BUCKETNAME/dev/health")"

Likewise this will show the beginning of a file:

"dbutils.fs.head("s3://gradientai-databricks/dev/health/Q2_2023/1_30.csv")"

However one of our users gets "PermissionError: Forbidden" when running this code:
"import pandas as pd"
"import pickle"
"data = pd.read_pickle('s3://BUCKETNAME/dev/health/Q2_2023/1_30.csv')"
"display(data)"
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.