cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to Azure Databricks Account Console

RameshRetnasamy
New Contributor III

I have a personal Azure pay-as-you-go subscription in which I have the 'Global Administrator' role. I am also the databricks account administrator.

Until two weeks ago, I was able to access the databricks account console without any issues, but I am facing issues during the last 2 weeks as below. It's not only isolated to me. I have checked with other users in my user group and they are facing the same issue. All of them were able to access the account console in the past.

I am accessing the account console via the 'manage account' menu as below

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.13.53.png

This takes us to the page below with the error as shown here

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.15.30.png

It suggests the error is temporary, but I have been seeing it over the last 2 weeks.

As you can see below, the user I am trying to access has Global Administrator role.

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.17.20.png

Also, the workspace is a premium workspace as below

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.18.35.png

I have tried clearing the cache and also using a different browser. All of these return the same error.

As I could access the account console successfully in the past, I assume it's due to some recent changes to databricks. I have looked through the documentation to see if I need to add additional roles or privileges, but nothing is pointing to a solution.

Has anyone faced similar issue. If so, could you please help resolve this.

Please note that the Azure subscription is my personal pay-as-you-go subscription. Other people I spoke to also have the same issue with personal subscription, not corporate accounts.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

dustinvannoy
Contributor

I have steps that should help many with this issue get connected again. I hit this on my personal Azure pay-as-you-go account where I now have to login as a different username to get to my Databricks Account.

• In Azure Portal, go to Azure Entra ID resource and see which users exist. For me the admin user I normally log in with doesn't show exactly, instead a similar username with #ext# in it shows up.
  • If there is an #ext# user that is similar to what you log in as, go to portal.azure.com on a fresh browser session (such as incognito browsing) and try logging in with that full username (should include #ext#).
  • You may need to reset password to get logged in as this user.
  • After you get that working, go to Databricks Account login at accounts.azuredatabricks.net and login with the #EXT# email.

See images below of how my typical username which I logged in with to Databricks (training@dustinvannoy.com) is no longer showing up in Microsoft Entra ID, but I now have the #ext# user (training_dustinvannoy.com#EXT#@trainingdustinvannoy.onmicrosoft.com) which has those important Azure admin permissions and I can use to login to accounts.azuredatabricks.net.

dustinvannoy_0-1724172188792.png

dustinvannoy_2-1724172375576.png

View solution in original post

Hi @dustinvannoy, Thanks for this. I have tried this solution and it worked perfectly fine. Microsoft also, provided me with another solution which requires us to create a separate external user and assign the 'Global Administrator' role, which also worked.

For anyone who is interested please see the document here which details the steps required to implement both approaches. 

https://github.com/cloudboxacademy/azure_databricks_course/blob/main/known-issues/unable-to-login-to...

Thanks

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Marco37
New Contributor III

I'm facing the same problem today. Last week I was able to enter the Account Console and now I get the same message as Ramesh. I have redeployed my environment several times, but still I can't access the Account Console.

Marco37_0-1723048456755.png

Hi @Marco37 - Thanks for confirming that you have the same issue. It appears it not only affects pay-as-you-go subscriptions. I think it's a product update being rolled out incrementally as I am hearing the same issue from more and more people. Hope someone from @Databricks is able to help with this. 

RyanNgo
New Contributor II

I have the exact same error with the same config as Ramesh, I've been using github to login with my Microsoft account and have had no issue until this week. 

Clicking on Sign in with Microsoft Entra ID gives this message:

Selected user account does not exist in tenant 'Microsoft Services' and cannot access the application 'xxx-xxx-xxx' in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first.

Markus2
New Contributor III

I am facing the same issue and after spending a lot of time trying to get it work I was contacting the Databricks Support Team. Their recommendation was:
"Please clear the cache and try again. Also, use an incognito window to check".
This did not fix the issue for me.

RameshRetnasamy
New Contributor III

Thanks @Markus2 , @RyanNgo@Marco37 for confirming that this issue is widespread. Hope someone can help resolve this. 

Hi @RameshRetnasamy , @Markus2 , @RyanNgo , @Marco37 

I've stumbled upon following stackoverflow thread:
Unable to login to Azure Databricks Account Console - Stack Overflow

According to Ganesh Chandrasekaran, it seems that this problem appears when you use generic emails like Gmail, hotmail etc.

He suggest 
to add custom domain, make it Primary, and register email using that domain. This is workaround for now.
@Kaniz_Fatma , it there some way to contact with Databricks product team and ask them what's changed recently?
And what is the best way to solve this issue?

Hi @Slash, thanks for looking into this. 

Ganesh's workaround to my stackoverflow post works only if you have a custom domain. Unfortunately, most people using personal Azure subscription don't have a custom domain and that's the reason they use their gmail or outlook email to create the subscription and learn databricks. 

Thanks for requesting @Kaniz_Fatma to contact the product team. I hope they can rollback the change! At the same time, I suspect the update required could be at Microsoft side. So, I have raised it in the Microsoft forum too. 

Hi @RameshRetnasamy,

You're right that this workaround with custom domain is not a good solution. Let's hope we will get back some information from Databricks/Microsoft team how to resolve that.

Markus2
New Contributor III

My latest response from the Databricks Support Team regarding this topic:

'As you have a personal Azure pay-as-you-go subscription, could you please ask Microsoft support team to create a ticket for Databricks so that our support team can assist you further.'

I don't know where and who to ask at Microsoft for this topic.

I am looking forward to reading a comment from a Databricks engineer regarding this thread. 

Marco37
New Contributor III

I just logged a support case at Microsoft support. Hopefully they can assist us, although my Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription is not linked to my support account.

Rquest ID: 2408140050002421

Regards,

Marco

AnilK
New Contributor II

I got struck on the same too. Hopefully MS will provide a resolution for this. This halted my learning now 😞

Manish89
New Contributor II

Facing the same issue since early this week. Hope Databricks and Microsoft have taken notice of this issue and will provide a solution soon. Hi @RameshRetnasamy - MSFT have responded with a solution to another thread - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1861727/unable-to-login-to-azure-databricks-acco.... Not sure if the recommended solution worked for you? It didn't work for me.

Marco37
New Contributor III

I have had contact with Microsoft support last wednesday. I have shared my screen with the support engineer and showed her our problem. She will escalate it to the databricks support team within Microsoft and we will have contact when they need more information (or have a solution).

IamSoo
New Contributor II

Hey @Marco37 did MS guy reply back on this issue? It seems to be a recent bug.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group