cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can not read data from GCS

shihs
New Contributor

I am trying to use Databricks to read data on Google Cloud Storage (GCS) with Databricks on Google Cloud. I followed the steps from https://docs.gcp.databricks.com/storage/gcs.html.

I have tried Access GCS buckets using Google Cloud service accounts on clusters, but I still couldn't read the file on GCS with the code below

from pyspark.sql import SparkSession
spark = SparkSession.builder.appName("test").getOrCreate()
df = spark.read.format("csv").load("gs://mybucket/test.csv")

The error message I got
```
"xxx@xxx.iam.gserviceaccount.com does not have storage.objects.get access to the Google Cloud Storage object. Permission 'storage.objects.get' denied on resource (or it may not exist).",
```

I also tried Access a GCS bucket directly with a Google Cloud service account key. I stucked in Step 4 & 5. Since step 5 uses `{{secrets/scope/gsa_private_key}}` and `{{secrets/scope/gsa_private_key_id}}` to get thegsa_private_key and gsa_private_key_id. I am not quite sure where should I do the step 4? I think it doesn't make to do it on local computer, however, it is also weird to do it on the cluster terminal. 

Please help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance! 

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @shihs , 

- Check your Service Account Permissions: Ensure the service account has "storage.objects.get" permission for the GCS bucket. Add the "Storage Object Viewer" role to your service account via the GCS console.

- Use External Locations: Databricks recommends using external locations to connect to GCS. Create an external place combining a cloud storage path with a storage credential. Grant permissions like CREATE TABLEREAD FILESWRITE FILES on it.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!